I'll Support You!

"What?!" (Y/N) shouts in utter surprise.

"What do you mean..." Jeongguk asks quietly, not believing what he has heard.

The doctor stops flipping through Jeongguk's chart and gives them both a quizzical look.

"It's just as I've said," The Doctor begins. "Whatever injury you had, Jeon Jeongguk, I see no sign of it now. You're in great health."

"No way..." Jeongguk shakes his head in disbelief, "My knee was hurting up until recently! Why would it hurt if I'm perfectly fine?"

The Doctor plants his fist under his chin while taking a moment to think about what the problem is, "It could have been psychosomatic pain. That's when you think it hurts because you remember when you were actually in pain, even if you're perfectly fine. It can be very convincing."

"That's..." Jeongguk looks down at the floor with an unreadable expression.

"Well, what I can tell you for sure is that you're physically healthy. Actually, you may even be in better condition than your peers."

"Ah..."

*Timeskip*

Jeongguk looks lost for words as (Y/N) and him exit the clinic.

"But everyone told me I wouldn't be able to play sports again..." Jeongguk says as his gaze seems glued to the ground. "This doesn't make any sense."

(Y/N) looks his way with a sympathetic look. 'My goodness...He's spent three years believing that?'

"Are you sure that doctor you saw back then wasn't a quack?" (Y/N) asks, hoping it would get his mind off the memory. "Telling you that you can't ever be an athlete when you're perfectly fine..."

Jeongguk lifts his gaze off the floor and brings it towards her, "A quack? No, that can't be."

"Or...maybe you're too healthy that your injury miraculously healed?" (Y/N) shoots an energetic smile towards him, "Whatever it is, seriously- congrats! You can pick up Taekwondo again without having to worry!"

"Ah..."

(Y/N) pouts to herself. 'I know I'm being chatty, but Jeongguk doesn't laugh at all.'

She taps his shoulder, "What's wrong? Aren't you happy?"

"No, I am, but..." Jeongguk looks aside with a blank expression. "...Ha, I don't know."

"Hm?"

"It's been 3 years since I stopped training," He says in a somber tone. "I'm not sure if I'd still be good at it. It's...complicated."

"It's okay to be nervous..." (Y/N) says as she puts her hand on his shoulder for comfort. "But who cares if you're good at it? Isn't it enough to be able to do something you love again?"

Jeongguk looks at her strangely. "But...if you're my fan, don't you want to see me do well?"

(Y/N) looks at him with laudation in her eyes, "I never said I liked you because you were good at it. I like how you enjoy what you do." She gives him an adorable eye smile, "I'll support whatever you do, Jeongguk. That's why I wanted congratulate you on getting the opportunity to do what you want again."

Jeongguk stares at her, a puzzled look on his face.

(Y/N)'s eyes open slightly as she looks at him with courtesy, "Congrats. I really mean it."

His face flushes a bit before splitting into a radiant smile. "...Thank you. I'll try my best at Taekwondo. I'm going to work even harder to make up for the time I missed."