v. beach day

c h a p t e r    f i v e

ALTHOUGH SHE KNEW FOR A FACT THAT HER AND ALEX weren't ready to see their parents again, that didn't mean Reggie wasn't. Mr. Molina's one-sided conversation with his wife made them all think back to their families, and now Reggie was more than eager to see his and make sure that they've been doing okay.

Which also meant that they'd have to go out in public again. Also something Carly wasn't exactly ready for, but it was also something she couldn't just put off. Especially when the only people she hung out with were perfectly fine with it. She'd just have to tough it out until it didn't bother her anymore, and Carly hoped that for her sake that wouldn't take that long.

She remembers Reggie's house being on the beach, it was always nice when they would hang out there, which wasn't that often, his parents always claimed that the four of them were 'too rowdy' but whenever they were there, Carly can remember the bonfires they'd have in the sand and sitting on a towel while she listened to the boys play. Sometimes if she was in a good mood she'd even play a little bit herself.

Right now they were on a beach alright, but it was different. People scattered the land and what used to be a neighborhood was now a strip of several different businesses. Carly tried not to stare at a group of teenagers playing volleyball, nothing could describe how much she wishes her life was still like that, she wishes that was still possible. Now she wasn't even sure if she could pick up a volleyball anymore.

"I can't believe there's a bike shack right where my house used to be," Reggie sighed, "Right here."

Luke patted his shoulder, "I'm sorry man."

"And they made the Myerson's house a noodle shop! Why couldn't they have made mine like a pizzeria or something?"

Alex looked down the block, "they tore down the entire neighborhood."

Reggie looked down at the sand, "I guess my folks are gone."

"Everyone's gone," the drummer said, "Twenty-five years, gone. Friends, family, Bobby, everyone."

Her brother's words made her feel guilty, she's hardly even thought about Bobby since that night at the Orpheum, who knows what happened to him, she hoped he didn't struggle that much with them passing, in her mind she didn't deserve the mourning and wallowing that came along with death.

"I wonder what happen to Bobby," she said aloud.

"Same," Reggie said. "I guess that vegetarian lucked out-"