xxi. accidental hints

c h a p t e r    t w e n t y - o n e 

THE NEXT MORNING, WHEN CARLY ENTERED THE MOLINA HOUSE, SHE WAS MET WITH THE SIGHT OF A SINGING FATHER AND A CONFUSED JULIE. 

Carly did her best to swallow a laugh and tried to ignore the sudden pang in her chest, seeing Julie's father interact with her somewhat reminded her of her own. In the past, Carly used to get along really well with her parents, especially her dad. He was the one who pretty much molded her and Alex's music taste. She missed listening to new CD's with him, and she missed putting on garage shows with Alex. 

All those good memories made her believe that nothing bad could possibly happen with her parental relationships, but then Alex came out and everything changed. Carly doesn't blame him for their falling out, no, not at all, she blames them. Isn't pretty much written in the rules of being a parent that you have to accept and love your child no matter what? Or at least, that's how it should be. In her mind, if Alex wasn't worthy of their love, neither was she. They were a packaged deal, wherever one went, the other one did too. She'd follow him anywhere and it's the same way with him. 

Part of her hopes that their death made her parents realize their mistake, but when she thinks that she feels cruel and dark. They're her parents, she shouldn't want them to feel pain, but then again, it didn't seem like they minded hurting their children so what's the big deal? It's been twenty-five years too, they're probably over it by now sipping mimosas every Sunday morning in their new ranch house. 

But she also hoped their were happy, wherever they were. 

The sound of Reggie's voice along with Mr. Molina's snapped her out of her thoughts of the past. Somehow, Reggie seemed to be enjoying spending time with someone who didn't even know of his presence much more than he should. 

"This is new," Julie said, setting her backpack down. 

Mr. Molina shrugged, "Eh, I was in the mood for making some breakfast."