xxvi. unsaid emily

c h a p t e r     t w e n t y - s i x

c h a p t e r t w e n t y - s i x

JULIE STOOD FROZEN IN FRONT OF THE PATTERSON HOUSEHOLD. SHE SAID YES TO HELPING LUKE, THERE REALLY WASN'T ANY OTHER ANSWER SHE COULD GIVE, BUT NOW THAT SHE WAS THERE SHE HAD NO IDEA WHAT TO DO.

She jumped when two figures appeared at her side, one a small blonde ghost, the other a boy dressed in a flannel and jeans, their hands were intertwined with each other's as they stood frozen just as Julie was.

Carly looked to her living friend and smiled softly, she looked back at Luke and squeezed his hand. "Are you sure you're ready?" This was probably the fourth time she had asked him this already.

He gave the same answer every time, a simple nod. Luke stepped forward to ring the doorbell with his free hand, not letting go of his grip on Carly, she stumbled the more he moved forward. They stood behind Julie as they waited for someone to answer the door, all three of them seemed nervous.

The lock could be heard clicking, and the door opened slowly to reveal a curious Mr. Patterson, "Hello, can I help you?" The man asked.

Julie's hands rubbed together as Luke watched the exchange eagerly, his grip on Carly's small hand still as tough as steel. "Hi, I'm Julie," she introduced and took a deep breath, "I believe you had a son named Luke?"

Mr. Patterson seemed to smile fondly, "Yes, that's right. And you are again?"

"Julie Molina," the girl repeated, "Your son's band used to play in my family's garage," Mr. Patterson didn't say anything. "I, uh- I came across a song he wrote, I figured you might be interested."

"Um, well, yes," Mr. Patterson nodded eagerly, "Please, come in. I'm Mitch."

Julie shook his hand as she stepped inside, "Nice to meet you," before she closed the door she looked back at her two ghosts friends, Luke who was staring into the home with wide and teary eyes. Julie beckoned the two of them inside as Carly urged Luke to move. Julie shut the door softly after they stepped inside.

"Can I get you something," Offered Mitch.

Julie shook her head, "Oh, no, I'm good. Thank you." She stepped deeper into the home and paused to pick up a picture frame that had caught her eye, "Is this your son?" She asked, despite already knowing the answer.

Mr. Patterson smiled fondly again, "Yeah, that's Luke when he was two," Carly took a moment to glance at all the picture set up on the desk, she hadn't noticed them the last time she was here. For some reason, she was surprised to see one of the four of them when they had come over for Luke's sixteenth birthday.