xvi. disappointment

c h a p t e r    s i x t e e n

c h a p t e r s i x t e e n

SHE WASN'T SURE HOW LONG SHE'D LET THE CONCEPT OF FOOD DISTRACT HER, it was just so nice to finally feel a little bit alive again. When Luke reached his hand out to grab another slider, Carly grabbed his wrist and dragged it toward her face to inspect the time.

"Crap!" She exclaimed, "It's past eleven o'clock."

Reggie cut out his makeout session with a  meatball sub in his hands, "What? Pass your bedtime or something?" He teased.

Carly threw Luke's wrist from her grasp and snatched the meatball sub from Reggie's hands, though she returned it quickly by throwing it at his face. "God, you guys are so dumb. You had somewhere to be tonight remember!"

The boys still looked clueless and Carly rose from her seat in exasperation.

"Julie and the Phantoms can't be much without the actual Phantoms!"

Luke dropped the piece of pizza he was eating and eased Carly back down into her seat. "Relax, C. We'll leave soon, okay?" The blonde shook her head, but complied nonetheless and watched in disdain as Covington took the stage again.

"Reggie would you stop kissing that meatball sub?" Alex begged.

All he was given was a defensive look in return, "It's what you do with the things you love."

Carly tuned them out, for the time being, getting the feeling that she'd start yelling if she listened to their nonsense anymore. "I take it you are all enjoying the feast?" Covington asked the entire club, everyone cheered at his question. "So many delicious sights, so many tantalizing sounds, but your eyes still hunger for more," the ghost paused to build more anticipation in his words, "something sweet... something savory. How many newcomers do we have in the club tonight?" Carly's hand was raised against her will and she glared at Luke. "Ladies," Caleb said, "Let's show our guest how we do dessert."

Groups of dancers flooded the large room and music started to blare from the instruments being played on stage, Carly was ashamed to say that she was impressed but she couldn't help but wonder exactly how long these people had been ghosts based on their attire, was there clothing just for show or were they actually flappers?

Someone gripped the back of her chair and sang in her face, Carly didn't want to come off as rude so she smiled and pretended to nod her head to the music, she went to reach for a cupcake that had appeared on the table but her hand was grabbed and she was twirled out of the chair and onto the dance floor. "What- let me go!" The ghost didn't listen and Carly was forced to move her feet to the music, almost losing her breath from the sudden fast pace. She could catch a glimpse of the ghost twirling her around, he looked around her age, and he wasn't bad looking, but that didn't mean she enjoyed being pushed around the dance floor against her will.