Prologue

The picture above is of Massimo's wife Cassandra

*****

Massimo

All this waiting is driving me insane. I don't understand why I can't be inside the delivery room with my wife.

I continued pacing back and forth outside the delivery room, when suddenly, the delivery room door opened, and the doctor came out.

"Mr. Anastasi..." he said but I cut him off.

"Doctor, how's my wife and our baby? Can I see them now? Are they okay? What took so long? I asked all at once.

"Mr. Anastasi, the baby is fine. She's perfectly healthy....but I'm so sorry to inform you, but your wife didn't make it," he said and I felt the blood drain in my face.

Oh god no... not my wife...

"Her heart couldn't handle the stress of giving birth. Her heart gave out. We tried everything we could, but we couldn't save her," the doctor continued. "She knew the risks. I've told her countless times, that the chances of her surviving this was little to none. I'm so sorry Mr. Anastasi."

I frowned. "Wait. What are you talking about?" I asked him confused as to what she meant.

"She never told you..." She stated in understanding.

"Mr. Anastasi, your wife had a heart condition. She had what we call Cardiomyopathy. I have warned her from the very beginning of the pregnancy, to think about terminating the pregnancy early on, because it is most likely that she wouldn't survive giving birth. There was also a high possibility that she could go into cardiac arrest before she could even give birth," she explained. "I told her to talk to you about it. So when she came back informing me that you both decided to continue with the pregnancy, I thought you were both aware of the risks."

"She never told me," I said in a broken whisper.

How could she not tell me this?

How could she lie to me?

Confusion. Anger. Pain. All these emotions were running through my mind. I didn't know what to think or do.

All I know is, my wife is dead, and my baby is in there...

After a few moments, I looked back at the doctor and said, "I would like to see my daughter."

...............................................

I had just buried my wife, and I have a letter she has written for me in my hands. All I want is to wake up and find this to be a terrible nightmare. But it's not. It's real. My wife is gone.

I took a deep breath and found the courage to open the letter Cassie left me

Dearest Massimo,

Please don't be mad at me for keeping the truth from you. Please forgive me.

The moment I found out I was pregnant was the happiest day of my life. In that moment, I fell in love with our baby. As a mother, it is my duty to protect our child; so when the doctor told me, that I should consider terminating my pregnancy due to a heart condition, I knew without a doubt that I never could.

It saddens me to say this, but I knew that once you found out the truth, you would ask me the same thing. So I hid the truth from you. But I want you to know that, I also didn't tell you because, I didn't want to worry you. I did not want to hurt you. I wanted us to enjoy the pregnancy without fear for my health and safety.

The last few months we have spent together, was the greatest months of my life. I watched you be a dotting husband and father to our unborn  baby, and it brought me tremendous joy. I was able to fulfill my dream of becoming a wife and mother, no matter how short the time given to me and I could not ask for more.

I love you both dearly, with all my heart and soul. I'm sorry that I can't be with you longer. I'm sorry I had to leave... but know that I will always watch over the both of you.

I want you to love again, Massimo. You have such a big heart. Find that person who will love you and our baby, and love her in return. Love her with all your heart. You deserve to live a long and happy life with someone who will love you and our baby completely. Our baby deserves to grow up with a mother who will love her as though she was her own. Please do this for me. Continue living. Be happy, Massimo.

With all My Love,

Cassie

I hugged the the letter to my chest and allowed the tears to fall from my eyes.

I'm sorry Cassie, but I can't. I love you, only you. I can never love another, the way I loved you.