Chapter 8

Arabella

What just happened?

Why does Massimo look so distraught?

This is not going the way I expected it to. I came back thinking that I will talk to Massimo, and tell him that I changed my mind, but Lia's cry greets me, and I panicked.

The way Lia clung to me, afraid that I might disappear, pained me. Then she asked me, if I won't leave her, and I couldn't do anything, but swear that I wouldn't.

How could I?

Then she said it. She said she loved me, and I knew from that moment, that I wouldn't be able to stay away and leave her. I loved her, and I couldn't love her more if she was my own. I love her with everything in me.

I look at Lia, one last time, before leaving to look for Massimo, and ask what was wrong. The look on his face tells me, that something upset him.

I quickly made my way to his office thinking that he might be able I there.

I knocked on his door.

Nothing.

Where could he be?

I tried to listen to any noise that may indicate he was inside, but nothing.

Did he go to bed?

I shrugged.

This will have to wait until the morning.

Oh, wait, my things! Crap. I was in a rush to get to Lia that I totally forgot about Antonio grabbing my things for me.

My room! I quickly went to my room to see if my things were in fact there. I got inside the room, and there they were. I decided to get ready for bed. I'm exhausted. It has been a long day.

After taking a shower, I climbed into bed. But no matter how exhausted I was, I had trouble falling asleep. My mind drifted to Massimo and the way he looked tonight. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I could sense that something was wrong and he was upset. The fact that I just realized I was in love with him, didn't help either. I still can't believe I have fallen in love with a man I've know for what? All of 5 minutes?

Love doesn't happen this fast... does it?

I haven't been in love before. Well, I've dated. Gone out with guys, but nothing serious. I haven't been in a relationship though. My dates never really progressed into something more serious. I haven't met someone, who I wanted to commit to. But now, I've fallen in love, and the man I love is definitely not the right one for me. We're from two different worlds. Besides, it's not like he's interested in me.

After at least about an hour of tossing and turning in bed, I decided to go down, go into the garden and take a walk for a while.

Before heading to the garden, I walked past Massimo's office. I could hear some movements inside, and the fireplace burning.

I contemplated whether I should knock or not.

I really wanted to know what happened tonight. But I'm also scared and still a little bit shaky. I mean I just realized I was in love with the man.

In the end, my curiosity won. I knocked on his door and waited.

Massimo

I poured myself a glass of scotch. Then I walked over to the fireplace.

I felt like, my whole body is on fire - about to explode any minute.

My gaze shifted to the portrait of my wife, as though she could help cool the fire in my veins. She looked like a queen in a long flowing emerald dress. Her golden brown hair completely covered her bare creamy shoulders, in soft waves. That was my Cassie. Elegant, sophisticated, and...