Ch 7

I went through my classes like normal, anxious for lunch. I was nervous over convincing Nino and hearing Alya and Adrien mutter their doubts behind me wasn’t helping. They probably thought they were quite enough but I could still hear them and had a hard time concentrating.

The bell rang as the teacher was collecting our exit questions. Thank goodness, one more period and it’s lunch, I mentaly cheered. I entered maths only to find the words ‘Pop Quiz’ in bold on the board. We got to choose our seats and I made sure to get a seat in the front, I learned quickly that this teacher gives extra credit to those who choose to sit in the front during tests. I set down my pencil and calculator claiming the desk before getting up and setting my book bag in the front of the classroom with a few others who were early.

I went back to my seat and impatiently waited for the test to start so I could get it over with. I started thinking back to what the quiz could be on, I forgot to check my notes before setting aside my bag. My mind was in such a state of panic as I desperately tried to remember what we had been studying recently that I took me a second to see Nino take a seat next to me when there were a few more desks open, even in the first row. I almost forgot we had this class together.

My mind shifted to another form of panic. What do I say to him? I’ll be talking to him after this class but what do I say to him right now? This is going to be an awkward 4 minutes as we wait for class to start along with the quiz. Nino seemed to notice the panic written across my face and slid his notebook over.

“Want to flip through it together? I’m guessing you forgot to take a look at yours.”

I hesitated before giving a slight nod. “Thank you.”

“It’s no problem.” he moved closer and flipped to the recent notes from class. We started to mutter to ourselves on the notes, pointing out useful things to remember and memorising formulas.

“Okay, pack up your note, phones and bags in the front. If you’re caught cheating, you’ll get an automatic zero.” Nino and the rest did as told and headed back to their seats. The room was dead silent as the teacher took attendance and she made a note on the front row. She handed out the test and I started as soon as the paper landed on my desk.

Almost immediately, I flipped it over to note the number of questions and giving them a read through, trying to answer the easy ones and the ones freshest in my memory first. That now left the harder ones sadly. I glanced at the time, I had 20 minutes, it felt more like 2 to my mind. I started with the hardest this time.

I moved my pencil to circle ‘D’ when I heard a squeak from Adrien and Alya looking over my shoulder. To be honest, I kinda forgot about them for a moment.

“You really don’t want to choose that one.” Adrien muttered. I sighed and redid my work and moved to select ‘B’.

“Are you sure?” Alya asked, hinting a lot in her voice that it was wrong yet again. Exasperated, I scribbled on the top of my sheet ‘Please let me take my test, I don’t want to cheat!’

“Okay, okay we’ll leave you alone, sorry.” Alya quickly apologized.

“Yeah, sorry.” Adrien sounded embarrassed.

I erased my note and resolved the question and circled ‘A’ with no extra comments. Satisfied, I continued to the next one. I was close to circling my next answer when the two decided to jump in again.

“It’s not C! It’s B obviously!” I took off my glasses and rubbed my eyes, counting to five. I can tell you that it didn’t work at all. Yet again, I started to frantically write at the top of my sheet angrily for them to leave me alone during the test.