Ch 10

Yet again, I made my way to the library and slipped down into the basement.

“Hey, Grandpa? I was wondering if we could work on reincarnation.” I called to the empty basement. I shifted my feet waiting for an answer.

“Yes?” he finally showed.

“I was wondering if you could explain reincarnation to me.”

“You have the book, didn’t you read it?

"Yeah, but I was hoping you could explain it since I can’t read it that well.”

“Well, it’s sort of like reanimating corpses, you draw the rune and place the body in the center. This time however, you need the soul to possess their body as you perform the spell.”

“Anything else?” I pushed. “Like, could it work for people who aren't fully dead?”

He shot me an odd look. “I’ve never tried so I’m not quite sure. Is there a reason?”

“No.”

“Okay, well, you will also need them to have a piece of that flower.” he pointed to the flowers surrounding Emily's body. “on them at all times, they might be back from the dead but they will still need time to heal and that will keep them from decaying as their connection secures.” I nodded along.

“Okay, cool, now what am I learning today?” I asked, trying to take away any suspicion.

“Your lesson is to study the book.”

“Pardon?”

“I can feel your energy, I can tell you’re advancing outside any lesson I can teach you so you should just study the book.”

“Is there nothing you can teach?”

“I can tell you about death.”

“I know what death is.”

“No, I ment like, death in their physical form.” I sat up straighter, intrigued. “I thought my last pupil was going to be the new death, I told her and she was consumed by the thought of power. She worked day and night, studying to fulfill her role. You see, I had a vision that the new embodiment of death would be of my blood line but I was mistaken as to who it was supposed to be.

“I thought my daughter to be the next death and all the magic quite literally went straight to her head. She became blind to anything but magic and ghosts. I taught my son, trying to gain his help to save her from this madness but it was too late. She was so desperate to be the next death that she took her friend’s life.” he looked sadly at Emily’s corpse. I covered my mouth to keep from screaming in fear.

“She disappeared after that, and maybe it’s for the best. I can feel your energy and I do believe that you might be able to take up the role she was unable to.”

“I don’t think I can be though, I’m just a teenager. And, if I may ask, is it my mom you're talking about?”

“Tomoe, last I heard of her, she married into the Tsuruig family and had a daughter. Your mother never believed me and this work.”

“So my aunt murdered Emily?” I yelled in panic.

“It seems to be.”

“O-oh, look at the time, I best be studying now, I greatly regret this.” I cracked open the book and forced myself to read it. My grandpa dropped the subject. I stared at the page while my mind ran wild.

‘If I have similar energy to both my aunt and Scarlet Moth, could it be possible that they are the same person?’ I thought. After everything that’s happened, I wouldn’t put aside that theory.