Ch 13

Okay, we’re back to Marinette’s point of view.

------------

I felt, sore? I didn’t feel anything yet I somehow knew that I was supposed to be feeling sore. I sat up in complete darkness, there was nothing indicating where I was. I stood up and started trying to find my way around, it was hard considering there was no floor under me nor walls to balance on. I saw a faint glow ahead of me and started to follow it, hoping for a way out or a guide.

As I got closer, I could just make out a figure in the light. Standing before me was my aunt Tomoe. She had a grin decorating her face, however, I couldn’t figure out if it was a kind or malicious one.

“What do you want?” I called out to her.

“I want what you stole from me. I also want revenge but if that was my main current goal I wouldn’t be coming to you. I can do both, but if you just let me have the power of death, I will stop seeking revenge and will even help you bring back Adrien and his mother.”

“What if I don’t though?” I asked, my heart pounding, my body quivering, my voice filled with fear.

“Then I will never stop trying. I could wipe you and your friends' memories, I could destroy you all in many ways, all I’m asking to prevent that is that you teach me to resurrect people and collect souls.”

“I only know how to resurrect people.”

“No, you can collect souls, you’ve been doing it forever. You're the reincarnation of death. You will have so much weight on your shoulders, don’t you want to get rid of it before it destroys you? Magic is already changing you.” she pointed to my arms, covered in black veins.

“How- why-” I gasped.

“Magic has effects on its users. Everyone can do magic, when they do they might have an unexplainable bruise or paper cut, but us, we have lasting effects embedded in our bodys when we use magic. It took my sight and humanity when I used it and it went to my head. I have no regrets regarding it. You, your veins will darken, your job now will force you to become cold and distant from your loved ones as you continue living. There is only one way to escape and that’s to pass it to me, let me take your burden and you can live a good life. I have the stability to carry it, free yourself from that destiny.”

Her words rang through my head, tempting. She held out her hand, imploring me to accept it. If I did, I knew I wouldn’t have any more worries, I wouldn’t have to be the next death, I would get to leave it all behind. She would help my friends and I could live a normal life.

I started walking towards her, tempted by her offer. At the last moment I hesitated. ‘Is this really what I want?’ she sensed my hesitation and her features flickered for a moment into an annoyed face before being forced back into a fake, joyful smile.

I pulled back my hand. “I’m sorry, but I can’t accept your offer.” her face fell into a snarl.

“You’ll regret this then.” she growled and I was thrown into a whirlwind of darkness.

I bolted up from where I was. I looked around, the darkness was gone and I was in a huge room with light pooling in from all of the many windows. I rubbed my eyes and slipped on my glasses, getting my bearings.

Alya was asleep on the couch and Nino resting on the opposite armchair. Chloe was dozing off in the corner of the room and Adrien was outside admiring the sunrise. I was in a comfy bed wrapped in Chloe's sweater and a red blanket, covering my arms from the others.

I vaguely remember Chloe covering my arms last night before the others saw. I will never say this out loud, but I’m grateful to Chloe for that. I untangled myself from the blanket and set my feet on the ground. The floor was cold and smooth beneath them and I forced myself to stand. I took a few steps before my legs gave in and collapsed under me.