Ch 18

Adrien and nino fought from running to intervene as I burned and set the body in the ruin. Perfect. I took my chance and slipped to the side, running to the ruin and starting the ritual, dodging balls of fire my aunt was chucking at me.

“Hey, you're not the Wicked witch of the west, stop it with the balls of fire!” Nino yelled as he and Adrien brandished spell books to defend me.

“What the heck Nino?! You want her to throw worse objects at us?!” I scream above the noise, trying to also concentrate on the spell and not move my right cheek so much. “Is this not life threatening enough for you?!” My face burned and even breathing felt like hell.

The spell wasn’t working, my arms shook, sore, and overworked, my mouth morphed into a grimace of pain from everything. I’ve lost so much blood and I don’t know if I could make it. I know I’ll survive the spell, if it works. But only if, I need to preserve my energy and keep going, I need to fake everything until this is over and then I can get sleep.

The ruins kept lighting up and fading as Scarlet Moth resisted the pull. “Come on, you can do this.” I muttered to myself, my eyes misting at the frustration brewing up inside me. Emily had crawled over to me and squeezed my shoulders.

“It’s okay, you're doing great, remember to breathe.” She comforted me. I took shaky breaths, trying to focus on the spell as Emily whispered words of encouragement.

The spell refused to work and eventually I just rocked back and started crying, my sobs echoing through the chamber. It’s one dumb spell! I can do this spell! I have been doing this spell!

“It will be alright-”

“No it’s not! If I can’t perform this spell then we might as well give up! I should've just given her the responsibility of death!” I growled out of the left side of my face, restraining from yelling and moving the right side as well.

“Well, I have no idea what you mean by that, but we know you can do this spell.” I looked up to see Alya supporting Chloe who was holding her ribs. I didn’t realize we left the trapdoor open. “Sorry we’re late, we had to help Mr. Fu upstairs and didn’t know this was here.” they got down the ladder and made their way over.

“What can we do to help?” Alya grinned, ready to beat up my aunt.

“Emily!” Chloe cried and flung herself into Emily’s arms, minding her ribs.

“Um, help Adrien and Nino I guess?”

“On it!” Alya raced over to them and Chloe nodded a short goodbye to Emily as she followed.

“Your friend’s believe in you, so do I. You can do this. Stop focusing on what’s around you and concentrate on on this.” she backed away to give me space and I tried again. The glow lasted longer this time but I need to work on strengthening it.

I frowned in concentration and after a few hour long minutes, I finally managed to perform the ritual. Scarlet Moth had run out of energy herself and was sucked into her body.

She struggled to sit up as she attempted to summon fire to her hand, only a few sparks popped.

“No! Ugh, I just need more time!”

“Nope, while up there, me and Chloe called the police.” Nino and Adrien escorted her upstairs and we followed, Emily helping Chloe and Alya aiding me.

“You guys did?” I asked, holding my injured arm to my stomach, putting pressure on it.

“Mhm, she was attacking us and we knew you could do the spell.”

When we got out of the basement, we watched my aunt being escorted out.

“Mom!” Adrien’s eyes lit up when he looked our way and dashed over. While he was over with his mom and Chloe, I turned to Alya.