1st Thing's 1st

Hollywood. 1995.

The cool night air drips with anticipation, crisp wind blowing softly through the dead streets of Hollywood. Sunset Boulevard to be exact, where all dreams come true, and tonight, those dreams belong to four incredible aspiring young artists ready to blow the world away with the one thing they love most: their music.

They all sacrificed so much to get to here, calling in every favor they possibly had and leaving their families behind, hoping to establish a name for themselves and show everyone who said they couldn't do it that they definitely could.

This is it. This is the bridge to eternal fame, fortune, and music.

This is the Orpheum.

"One! Two! Three!" Alex shouts, clapping his drum sticks as his blonde hair flaps beside his face.

"Take Off, last stop.
Countdown till we blast open the top.
Face first, full charge.
Electric hammer to the heart!"

Luke, the band's electric guitarist and lead vocalist, smiles into the microphone, the words flowing through him like energy. He's exhilarated, so close to living out his life's dream, and he couldn't look happier. His shaggy brown hair sticks to his face as he peers at his bandmates, his brothers, and they all continue to sing.

"Clocks move forward
But we don't get older, no!
Keep on climbing
Till our stars collided.
And all the times we fell behind
Were just the keys to paradise!"

"Don't look down
'Cause we're still rising up right now!
And even if we hit the ground
We'll still fly.
Keep dreaming like we'll live forever
But live it like it's now or never!"

Again, Luke hogs the mic, strumming his light blue six-string like a little kid. His green eyes glisten against the hot lights, but he shows no sign of stopping. If anything, the adrenaline spurs him on.

"Hear the noise, in my head.
It's calling out like a voice I can't forget.
One life, no regrets.
Catch up, got no time to catch my breath."

The boys jam out as if no one's watching, letting themselves go to the music, their music. The spotlight flares at Alex and Luke as they let years of excitement spill out before Reggie, the band's leather-clad ladies man, plucks at his bright red bass and takes it home, running his hand through his hair and making my heart quite literally jump out my chest.

"We ain't searching for tomorrow
'Cause we got all we need today!"

"Living on a feeling that's been running through our veins."

"We're the revolution that's been singing in the rain!"

"Don't look down
'Cause we're still rising up right now!
And even if we hit the ground
We'll still fly.
Keep on dreaming like we'll live forever
But live it like it's now or never!
It's now or never!"

Various employees of the Orpheum cheer, but I clap louder, smiling uncontrollably and whooping at the four boys who've become my family. 

Beside me, another girl with curly dark hair cheers and claps, and the boys bow, nothing but excitement and thrill filling the theater.

"Thank you! We're Sunset Curve!" Reggie winks, and a giddy laugh escapes my lips, beyond proud of them and how far they've come.

"Too bad we wasted that on the sound check. That was the tightest we've ever played," Bobby says, putting down his guitar which my fingers desperately itch to play. Literally, I'm shaking.

"Wait until tonight, man, when this place gets packed with record execs," Luke fangirls, holding himself back from jumping up and down and screaming.