3rd Thing's 3rd

"Oh... I think that's our cue to leave," Alex whispers to Luke as they walk backward slowly and bump into me, breaking me from my trance.

"We should have called first," Reggie retreats awkwardly, and I can't help but laugh as he pushes us all back out the door.

In the studio, the boys quickly gravitate toward their instruments, finding them scattered around the garage. They quickly assemble them and once again, the band is back together. Instantly, the excitement returns as Alex beats his drums and Reggie and Luke strum their guitars, and rock music fills the garage.

I jam out with them, nodding my head and dancing around, laughing and humming as we have the best time we've had since... in the last twenty-five years. But Julie quickly barges in, insisting they stop because of how loud they were playing, claiming the whole neighborhood could hear them. The atmosphere in the room drops and not just because it's filled with ghosts.

"Wait. People can hear us play?" Luke repeats, not believing what he's hearing.

"Yes! And so did my dad and my brother!"

"Wait..." I mumble, the gears in my head turning as Alex speaks what I'm thinking aloud.

"So, only you can see us, but everyone can hear us? I mean, what kind of ghosts are we?"

Luke laughs, completely amazed, and the thrill we all felt that night at the Orpheum returns. "Who cares, man? People can hear us play!"

"We might be dead, but out music isn't!"

"Reggie!" I exclaim. "The 'd' word! Don't use it!" He smiles and gives me a side hug, too happy to play again to have a care in the world.

Julie's dad follows the sound of the boys' music, soon catching sight of their instruments and getting his sticky fingerprints all over Alex's drums, or what he refers to as "the junk in the loft."

"He likes our song!" Luke gushes as he leaves, but Alex insists that he doesn't count since he's a dad.

"It is an awesome song, though," I nod and cross my arms, earning smiles from the boys.

"Why can't you guys just be normal ghosts? Hang out at an old mansion. I hear Pasadena's nice!" She storms out, closing the garage door behind her.

"I think she's warming up to us," Alex grins, and I shake my head and laugh.

"OK, buddy."

"Yeah, I've always wanted to go to Pasadena," Reggie says, completely missing the point of Julie's rant. I pat his back, and Luke flashes out, leaving us in awe.

"I am never going to get used to this," I say, eyes wide, as I follow Alex and Reggie out the garage, joining Luke and Julie in the front.

"Look, I'm sorry we came into your life, but... What I just felt in there actually made me feel alive again. We all felt alive again. So, you can kick us out if you want, but we're not giving up music. We can play again. That's a gift no musician would ever turn down. You gotta know that. Clearly, your mom is into music," Luke gushes, the passion in his voice nearly bringing a tear to my eye.

But on the other hand, I'm an incredibly unstable teenage ghost right now, so.

"Was," Julie corrects sadly. "She passed away."

Julie refuses to meet Luke's eyes, but his begin to fill, probably reminding him of his mom. My heart drops and I feel for them, having lost my dad when I was very young. He was my world, then that world stopped spinning and I had no idea what to do.

"I am... so sorry."

"Yeah, we... we didn't know," Alex adds, Reggie and I nodding beside him.

"It's alright." She takes a deep breath and straightens. "You guys haven't seen her anywhere have you? From wherever you're from?"