5th Thing's 5th

In a flash of white light, the four of us appear in the gym of Los Feliz High School, more than thrilled to watch Julie absolutely kill it and get back into the music program.

Darkness shrouds the entire gym, a single giant spotlight centered on a group of dancing Skittles flopping on the basketball court. Pop music fills the entire room, a catchy beat, I'll admit.

"What are you doing here?" Julie panics as her eyes land on us.

"We wanna see you stick it to the man!" Luke says excitedly, turning to us. "Isn't that right, guys?" 

The giant smiles on all of our faces are enough of an answer, but Reggie's mind is clearly elsewhere. "Man, I miss high school."

We all follow his line of sight to the girls prancing around, and I roll my eyes. Crossing my arms, I scoff, "Really? Everyone knows the best part of school is learning, but if you wanna date a living Skittle, go ahead." All four stare at me almost in disgust. "What?"

Luke laughs, "Yeah, but not all of us are geniuses like you. You're a year younger than us and was gonna graduate with us. That's insane."

I brush my shoulder with a smirk, "OK, I am a genius. Your words, not mine." Reggie drapes an arm around my shoulder, and we watch the girls' performance until the end, cringing at their name and the principal's terrible pun. "Who names their band Dirty Candy? That's just gross." 

"What are you waiting for?" Reggie asks, pointing to the stage as we all redirect our attention to Julie, her face showing nothing but worry. I can practically feel her nervousness, and I shiver with jitters. "This is your time!"

"Yeah. I mean, you look really nervous," Alex points out, soaking up her nerves. "Like yack in a bowl nervous."

"OK, yeah," I rush in front of the boys and push them back, figuring that them being here is only going to make her freak out more. "Enough of that."

"I just don't think I had enough time to work on the song," Julie admits, mostly to Luke.

Luke smiles knowingly, pride dripping from his tone. "I wouldn't have given you the song if I didn't think you were gonna rock it."

"Yeah," I agree with a beaming smile, pointing to the keyboard sitting all alone behind us. "Now, there's a piano on that stage with your name on it. You can do this! If not for you, do it for everyone who can't. Do it for us. Do it for your mom."

Julie takes a deep breath, and before we know it, she's sliding into the bench under the keyboard, letting her fingers slowly grace the keys as the butterflies in her stomach begin to calm down. She gives us one last glance, and I meet it with a kind smile, watching in anticipation as she plays the first notes and begins to sing.

"Sometimes I think I'm falling down
I wanna cry, I'm calling out
For one more try to feel alive.
And when I feel lost and alone
I know that I can make it home.
Fight through the dark and find spark."

"Life is a risk, but I will take it. 
Close my eyes and jump.
Together, I think that we can make it.
C'mon let's run!"

Suddenly, the boys are no longer beside me but with Julie on stage, instruments in hand and already jamming out with her. The entire crowd gasps, and my mouth hangs open wide. Can everyone see them?

"And rise through the night, you and I
We will fight to shine together, bright forever!
And rise through the night, you and I
We will fight to shine together, bright forever!"

Next thing I know, Reggie poofs back to me and grabs my shoulders, and I'm suddenly standing in front of the crowd beside them, hovering over the keyboard. Reggie grins at me almost wickedly, and I know it's payback from last night.