14th Thing's 14th

Reggie and I stand on either side of Ray as he sings and cooks up an egg breakfast in the kitchen. Reggie watches him and sings along as if he's the most interesting guy on the planet, and I'd be lying if I said I'm not the least bit amused. It's really funny, actually.

Somehow, Reggie, a ghost as dead as can be, managed to befriend a very alive person who just happens to be Julie's dad. Reggie hasn't spoken to him or interacted physically with him in any way. Yet, somehow, there's more chemistry here than in a science lab. 

I don't know how he does it. Reggie always finds the light in the situation. I think I can count the number of times I've seen him sad or upset on one hand. He just brings this bright ball of joy wherever he goes.

Julie joins us with a nervous smile, taking a seat on a stool across the island. "This is new."

"Yeah. I was in the mood for cooking some breakfast," Ray smiles, wiping his hands on his jeans.

Reggie leans over the counter, the lean muscles on his arms flexing slightly as the sun shines directly on us.

Wait, why doesn't the light shine through us? This whole ghost thing is getting more and more difficult to wrap my head around. We think we're solid, but no one else can see us... Ugh, I don't know anymore. I'll just say yes. Yes.

Reggie laughs and points at his new friend. "Ha! He thought you were talking to him. Me and your dad are pals now."

I walk around the counter and hop up onto the stool beside Julie, whispering, "It's a little one-sided."

"But it works!" Reggie shouts back.

"Look," Ray starts, and I almost forget he can't see or hear us, "after the talk we had the other night, I was thinking that I may have cost you an opportunity with that manager. So, I was thinking..."

Julie cuts him off and shakes her head, taking full responsibility. "Dad, no, I should've never snuck out."

"Let the man speak. He's been stress eating all week. I don't know where he puts it though. It's like... firm." Reggie pretends to rub his stomach and Julie and I share an awkward glance. I cringe and she glares at him with a smile. 

"I know, but I really want to support your band, so I called in some favors, and I booked you a local gig." 

"Best dad ever! What?" Reggie sings, and I laugh from across the counter, spinning in my seat.

Julie's eyes go wide, "Oh, my gosh. Where? Did you call your buddy from Drakes?"

Ray puts on a tight smile and tilts his head. "Not quite. I called Flynn, and she's gonna help us throw a party. Here. Tonight."

Julie's face slowly falls and she passes me a look that screams "help!" "Oh! So, you booked us a gig at our house?"

Reggie sighs and drops his head. "Maybe I was a little early with the 'Best Dad Ever' award."

But Ray's not done yet! "OK, hear me out. You invite some of your friends over, you play with your band, and I'll get some colleagues to put you on film. That way, you have something professional for your YouTube."

"What's YouTube?" I find myself asking. Julie hasn't quite cued me in on that yet. "Like a toilet paper tube?"

Julie looks at me through the corner of her eyes and whispers, "I'll explain later," before giving her dad a big smile to cover it up. "You'd do that for me?"

Ray grabs his mug, leaving the eggs on the counter, and exits the kitchen with a "yeah!"

"Back to 'best dad ever.' I'll go tell the guys." Facing the horror of being left by his new best friend, Reggie lingers in the kitchen with us, backing up off the counter and shouting across the house, "Have a good day at work, Ray! It's cool... You don't have to answer." He looks back at me with a pleading look. "Izzy? You coming?"