15th Thing's 15th

I stand in for Julie, playing on her keyboard as the boys practice for tonight. Reggie jams out on his bass, Luke strums away at his guitar, and Alex... Let's just say Alex doesn't seem to be having the best day.

He slams away at his drums, and the boys and I wince, trying to keep up with his quickening tempo before giving up completely. I'm too afraid to ask what's wrong, especially because he has sticks and I'm weaponless.

Alex realizes we've stopped playing and glances up at us innocently, fixing and readjusting his drum set.

Luke plays with the strap of his guitar. "Alex, you alright?"

"Yeah. Yeah. Yeah, why?"

Luke and I share a look and turn toward Reggie for help. "I know it's tough, man. People say you never forget your first ghost. Maybe that's true. But I'm sure there will be others."

"Yeah," I agree hesitantly, figuring I could piggy back on Reggie breaking the ice. "There are plenty of other ghosts in the sea. Ghosts in the cemetery? Sea-metery? I don't know where I was going with this."

"Thanks, guys."

Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Reggie's eyes on me, but by the time I turn to look at him, he's whistling and staring at the chairs hanging from the ceiling.

"And, Alex, you're a great drummer and a great guy, OK?" Luke tells him, joining our make-Alex-feel-good-again squad. "I wouldn't let all that stuff get in between you and what you love."

"I don't know, man," Reggie laughs, slinging his bass around his back. "Sometimes a little fire can make things better on stage. Like you and Julie."

Luke scoffs and gets up from leaning on Alex's drums. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Come on. Everyone can see the way you look at her when you sing," Reggie insists, and Luke continues to play it off as if he has no idea what we're on about. "You guys ooze chemistry."

Yes, Luke. Everyone can see it. Jeez, people can be so oblivious sometimes.

"You should never say 'ooze' again, but, yeah, I agree."

"I don't know I kinda like that word. Ooze. Oooooze. Ooooze. OooOOoooOooze." I start making weird shapes with my mouth and Reggie joins. 

"Izzy... Please, I beg of you," Alex runs a hand down his face and pulls down on his cheeks.

Still, Luke denies it. "OK, no. I have chemistry with everybody that I sing with." Reggie, Alex, and I share an unbelieving look. "Seriously, watch."

He starts walking toward me, and I shout, "Oh, heck no," but I don't have time to save myself. I'm doomed!

"I believe, I believe that we're just one dream away from who we're meant to be," Luke sings and grabs onto my neck and pulls me impossibly closer, our noses mere inches apart. "That we're standing on the edge of great."

"Wow," Alex says, his voice monotone like a narrator from a science show. "I see chemistry."

I swallow hard, my eyes wide and body completely still. My heart is hammering in my chest and if he kisses me I'm literally going to lose it. "That was pretty hot." Luke kisses his fingers and goes to press them to my lips, but Reggie yanks me back and glares at Luke. Luke holds his hands in the air as if surrendering, but I'm still petrified. I choke on a laugh, "Boys. Am I right?"

"No," Reggie pouts, fists clenched at his sides. 

"Yeah," Alex breathes, sending a reminiscent smile my way. 

Gosh, Alex is the best. Even before we died, I could talk to him about anything. Willie better not take advantage of him or I'm going to kill him. He will be dead... again. He will be re-dead.