XV

Kenma took slow steps towards Y/n's old bedroom door, hesitating to go in.

Y/n was facing opposite of the door, leaning on her dresser as she hugs her knees and tried to silence her sobs.

He was about to go in when he felt a hand on his shoulder. The boy turned around to see a man, her uncle, Keishin Ukai.

The man stared at him seriously, as if he was telling him to let him handle the situation.

Kenma got the message and moved out of the way for Ukai to pass.

Y/n's sobs were quiet and held back.

She heard heavy footsteps coming towards her and a sigh from above.

The girl lifted her head carefully before spotting her uncle who came to chek on her.

Ukai sat down carefully next to the girl to comfort her.

"Hey, kid." he said casually as he looks directly to the window.

All he heard were soft whimpers in response, he could tell she was holding back her tears and voice by the way she buried her nails on her arms.

"I-" he tried to speak but was quickly cut off by Y/n's words.

"I didn't do anything, right?" she said calmly as she lifts her head up to see the stars out her window.

Tears were still flowing from her now red and swollen eyes but she never made a sound.

"I know you didn't do that." Ukai reassured.

He sighed as he focused his eyes on her old bedroom's ceiling.

"Why didn't you defend yourself?" he asked her calmly, dropping his usually commanding attitude he always used when coaching his volleyball team.

"What's the point? They wouldn't believe me." she answered, eyes wide open while staring into space, her tears still flowing.

"I believe you." Ukai answered as he ruffled her hair like he used to when she were a little kid.

Her head slowly turned to look at him.

"...You do?" she stared at him silently before answering.

"You're a good kid, you always have been." he said while smiling lightly and he looks around the room.

She remained silent wiping her tears with the handkerchief she has brought.

"Am I?" she questions her uncle's statement.

Ukai smiled and looked to the floor remembering a memory from when his neices were just little girls.

"You know..." he paused and turned to look at her.

"When you were four, your mother told me to look after you and your sister for a day because they had to leave for work." he began to tell her a story.

Y/n nodded slowly in response, not bothering to look at her uncle because of her swollen eyes.

"I got you guys ice cream and the both of you wanted chocolate... but there was only one serving left." he continued.

"So you let her have that one and you just got a plain old vanilla ice cream." he finished and smiled.

"And then there was this one time when you were three when you both got gifts from your aunt." he began to start another story.

"You really liked your gift, it was your favorite color. But S/n liked yours better so you offered to trade and she accepted." he said in admiration.