chapter 9

as sakusa stepped out of the shower the day weighed down on him and his eyes kept threatening to shut.

"just go to sleep i'll wake you up in the morning. i want you in the best tip top shape," komori patted him on the back.

sakusa nodded too lazy to complain as his head hit the pillow he immediately drifted off excited for the next day that awaited.

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

art credits to onniegiri_ on instagram

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

'he really can jump high,' atsumu idly thought as he saw the little boy with bright orange hair soar through the sky and land a spike on their side before they could even react. it was just like they described it.

murmurs appeared throughout the stadium, with cheers coming from karasuno's side.

'so that's their so called quick attack, well i'll be damned.'

"we're going to need to figure out what to do with that and quickly," osamu huffed at the team, clearly annoyed.

atsumu nodded before looking over once again at sakusa who was sitting down at the stands with komori.

"he's waving again," komori laughed pointing at the setter who was jumping up and down waving his arms frantically with a wide grin on his face.

"god this is embarrassing, i told him to focus on the game TWICE," sakusa rubbed his forehead.

"fortunately for you, i am pretty sure you're the only one who could put up with him," komori smirked, sakusa paid little to no attention as he focused intently on the game in front of him, "so i still don't understand why you had to mark him up like that."

sakusa snapped his head up with a slight blush showing under his mask. he once again didn't say anything, rather giving a glare before returning to look at the setter. the setter smiled at him brighter than he had just did before going back to their game. at this angle sakusa could clearly see the two bright purple marks left by him on the setters neck. he had hissed at the setter that morning asking why he didn't cover them which had resulted in atsumu saying he wanted to brag about them.

the most amusing thing sakusa has seen this day so far would have to be when atsumu yelled at two fangirls who messed up his serve calling them pigs. he hadn't been able to resist the small smile that quirked up on his face as the memory. as he continued watching the game he had to say he didn't like the odds they were at right now. the two first years had their super fast quick attack that atsumu's team was struggling to get used to.

as much as he hated to admit it, atsumu and his whole team were a group of very talented players. they should have had it easy going against a team who was just now getting recognized. that's what he thought at least.

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

the ball hit the floor in a silent bam signaling the end of the first set. sakusa made eye contact with the exhausted setter. sakusa gave him a reassuring thumbs up as atsumu flashed him a smile.

sakusa wouldn't tell him that he would see right through atsumu's unusual fake smile.

his favorite part of set one had changed and was now the freak show's reaction to the twins minus tempo quick attack. seeing their faces in pure shock as they figured out that they weren't the only ones who could do it brought a smile to his face.