Chapter 29

I wrote this yesturday as i was terrified i wouldn't get it done in time and would end up with another late upload. It may be rushed but i quite like it.

I couldn't have found a more perfect song for this chapter, honestly its perfect.  I stumbled upon it a few hours ago and i couldn't believe how well it fit with this chapter.  

I dedicate this toooooooo ermmm Narni, because i love her and she's amazing, one of my best friends and a much better writer then i am.  She is the master of modesty and doesn't see how amazing at everything she does she really is. Narni you are amazing and i'm sorry im such a failure at everything :L 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The time limit Aelfgar had set was a week, just seven days, 168 hours or 10,080 tiny seconds. It was no time at all.

Aelfric was on the edge of something and I was scared of whatever it might be.

And then there was Aelfgar, he sat at the edge of my mind like a vulture ready to scavenge off any of my weaker thoughts.

I could sit thinking and three hours would go by, all the possible scenarios playing out in my head. He kills me, he tortures me for information, he asks me questions, he tries to convince me to betray the light elves.

At the same time I felt as though Aelfric was keeping something from me. He was very secretive and keep lurking in doorways instead of entering rooms.

Then again I hadn't been altogether truthful with him, I still hadn't told him of the flaming elf that had thrown me into the river. I still wasn't sure myself whether he had been trying to save me or kill me. I had asked him if there were any other types of elves I didn't know about but all he had said was that almost every clan was different, but to my question of how many clans there were he had not answered.

My mind rebelled at the sudden stagnation, the lack of Aelfric in my life as he retreated, the turmoil it had somehow knotted itself into. A clear though was a rarity.

Gannon Godwine and Quinlann were all very good warriors, and protectors when it came to physical threat. But they couldn't save me from myself.

"Your not going." Aelfric growled on the fourth day of the week. It was the first word he had spoken since he had received the news of his brothers capture and his ransom.

"If I don't he'll kill Lachlan."

"If you go he will kill you."

"You don't know that!"

"Please Hayley!"

"I have to."

He was yelling now. "No you don't!" Down on his knees in front of me he begged. "You have a choice, there's always a choice."

"I've made my choice." I ran my fingers through a tendril of his silvery hair.

In my time at Aelfweald I had grown to know Elvina well, she was a lovely person if slightly bizarre at times. I couldn't hurt her. Or Lachlan. But I was torn, the thought of hurting Aelfric was infinitesimally more painful then hurting Lachlan or Elvina. But if I did indeed go then wouldn't it be for the greater good. It's hard to choose between what you love and what is right. I knew what I had to say and I was sticking too it.

"Hayley please? I can't loose you again!"

That pulled at a chord. But I couldn't crumble. If I did I would fail. "You won't. Trust me like you promised you would." It was cruel to call on that promise now, but I had to make him let me go.