A SHINY DRESS

Having a bed to call your own was an achievement in hostels in the university of lagos as it was not easy to secure a space while balloting.
The percentage of students who got bed space was was far lower than those who didn't get one.
I had resumed with no means to cook because my parents had promised to send money for an hot plate when I get there and had fed on garri for two weeks before they could get the 5000 Naira for the hot plate.

On the day I had moved my things from Aunty Lara's place I had used 700 from the money I had on and in my dad's account to take a cab because of my load to my hostel which was fagunwa. I settled into the room meeting two of my roommates in the room who I got to know as Moyo and Rachel. My room was a six man with three bunks. That same week two other girls joined us both in year two. Moyo and Rachel were in year one like me but English and Chemistry respectively while the other girls Queen and Bolu were in year 2 philosophy.

A week into our lectures Edith a three hundred student of law resumed with her squatter who was in Year one Human Kinetics Education.
We later got to know that she had collected thirty five thousand to squat Wendy the girl in human kinetics.
As lectures started fully I got closer to Edith who turned out to be very friendly. I told her that I wanted to squat someone in my class and she told me how to go about she helped me with the porters settlement from the money Amaka my squatter paid which was a sum of thirty thousand Naira which I gave her 5000 from.
The day Amaka sent the money my dad called me in the night after finding out with my mum that the money wasn't for him. When I told them the alert was for me they screamed and my mum started crying and begging on the phone for me to stop whatever unclean thing I had put my hands in. I explained to them the story behind the money and they asked over and over again if it wasn't breaking the school rules. I mentioned depositing a part of the money to my mum's account but they refused saying the lord has blessed me with an allowance for the semester and now they can focus on sending to me what they have for the purchase of my books.

It was the week of matriculation, Our matric was on friday and it was wednesday. I had nothing to wear we were given a dress code of white and black and I had decided to wear one of my lecture wears under my matric gown. I was lying on my bed reading my note when I remembered that I wanted to get a book I heard was cheaper in Yaba bookshops. I quickly stood up wore a top on the skirt I was putting on and took my school bag.

"where are you going to?, I thought your classses for today ended an hour ago?" that was Queen my social influencer roommate from a wealthy home whose parents wanted to stay in the school hostel and not the private hostels outside and inside school they could afford.

"Yaba to buy a book"

"Is the book not in your faculty bookshop?"

"yes it is but they said the one in Yaba is five hundred naira lesser and if I should board the campus shuttle to and fro I did be saving four hundred naira"

"you are only looking at the money you will spend why not save yourself all the stress by letting go of the four hundred naira its just four hundred"                                                                                                 she said but this time I got angry instead of continuing the conversation with her

"its just four hundred naira to you but that same four hundred naira would buy me lunch three good times I know four hundred naira isn't enough for you to eat one lunch but letting it go to me is me loosing three meals madam so bye" I said controlling my annoyance not letting it show in my short speech which was basically the story of my life and strapped my bag properly to my shoulders leaving the room.

"I am sorry" I heard her say faintly. Queen was a humble person though she was older than I she was quick to admit her faults apart from the fact that she acted childish most times which was the only thing I didn't like about her she had a carefree spirit.

I alighted from the bus after it had parked at the bus stop and decided to ask one of the women selling cheap makeup for a description on how I could find a bookstore before taking more steps to avoid wasting my time.

With the help of the description one of the women gave me I located a bookstore after passing two huge buildings which she called Tejuosho while describing the place I could get what I was looking for to me. On my way back I noticed a small gate which people were going into, I looked inside and saw a big market and decided to go in and feed my eyes knowing fully well I could not buy anything from there.

"come and check here"

"aunty come here I will do you will"

"shey na gown you wan buy how many"

"I get fine combination of skirts and top check here"

they all kept talking and touching me at the same time that I almost ran out. I  turned to go out through the gate when my eyes saw a shiny black gown I didn't know when i said how much 

"seven hundred wholesale price" I looked up at him in shock and quickly hid the shock on my face and priced it to five hundred naira with my heart about to fly out of my chest dreading what would come next.

"e no grey five hundred oya take am for six hundred" he said pulling the gown from the manequin which was flaunting the dress so well and pushing it into my hand. I wanted the gown and it was the perfect dress to help me look good on friday but i had no money to buy it I decided to ask the guy if there was an ATM close by where I could withdraw cash to give him and he directed me to a first bank atm.

I withdrew a one thousand naira note and gave it to him collecting the cloth and the my change from him. I boarded the campus shuttle all smiles and still shocked at the price I got such a fine dress.

Hello guys
Hi guys
I know I am not worthy of the love you all have been showering on me.
It's been five months since I went awol
I don't just know everything has been so overwhelming.
From the whole lockdown thing to trying to get my life back starting a business and all that's it's been draining.
I never forgot about my loves here. There was a time wattpad was my escape room and I did like to write for those who wattpad is now an escape room for 🥰
This book is still going to undergo serious editing. And I tell you you aren't ready for what's to come. I did try to bring in a new type of story line.
Thank you all for staying with me. Please vote comment like share your views and share to friends. Xoxo 😘