4: Who Is That Girl I Saw?

"That was a close one!"

Donatello rushed in his lab and slid the doors shut. His heartbeat raced a marathon and his forehead was slick in sweat and grime from the trash. Which, by the way, stank like shit. He had to wait for half an hour until his former friend and the new, punk kid were gone so he could escape and retreat back to the lair before his brothers suspected he was missing. He also couldn't help but eavesdrop in their conversation, considering he had nothing better to do in a stinking garbage bin.

The human boy's voice was annoyingly smug, but his tone was soft. Donnie overheard him talk about a past relationship with a girl. Huh, maybe a playboy.

Then a moment of vulnerability was heard in the middle of his story. The turtle suddenly felt he was intruding on their privacy, like he was listening to what he was not supposed to hear.

But he had no choice but to sit still. So he had heard probably the most personal chapter of his life the human boy ever told.

Donnie had stopped eavesdropping when he heard him say the part where he severed his connection to that particular girl because he was reminded of the same situation where he and April lie now. It had hurt too much. Too much, that he had channeled his devastation into his Retro-mutagen project for a few days straight, but it still did him no better. He still felt pain and guilt of taking away what's left of April's only family.

He even calculated the possibilities of their happy reunion where all is forgiven and forgotten, and it was unsurprisingly low. Then he had tried to bravely approach April to ask for her forgiveness and explain everything, but every time he saw she was just right there, he'd always chicken out last minute. He was not ready for the scene where he was discovered stalking the human who specifically said and he quotes, 'I never wanna see your faces ever again!'. Every night since her dad's mutation, he'd sneak out the lair to follow her and try to talk to her. Donnie couldn't help it. He wished this habit would stop, but he couldn't force himself to do it.

After a few haggard breaths, he sat down on his wheelchair that was in front of the large mutagen containment unit where his once human friend, The Pulverizer, resided. Donnie turned to look at his eyeballs, then to his pulsing heart, then to the unfinished contraption on the desk beside him. He perked up, remembering he had to finish modifying the voice box he had salvaged so his guts for a chum would finally communicate.

He gathered his toolbox to continue where he left off when he subconsciously drifted his maroon eyes over to a framed picture of him swinging April by the same swingset he had 'visited' earlier. Speaking of earlier, he distinctly remembered the other female besides April that had a look in her eyes that made Donnie sense something... off about her. He doesn't know why he thought that way, but after observing her and concluding that she indeed knew the turtle, or at least his presence, was there and was keeping a lookout for him... He might ponder if she was also a trained kunoichi.

Then again, he might be wrong.

He ran through his memory again when the boy told their past. He remembered how he said that this girl especially had a nerdy side for science. For some reason, Donnie smiled at the thought. His own nerdy side for science had him gambol that someone could relate to him, in a way. He'd love to geek out his own inventions and theories once in a while to a person that's not a turtle or a certain redhead, but a person that understands his language. His perspective of her changed suddenly. A spark of unintentional covet to meet her in person crossed over his brightly intelligent mind, but he pushed it back. He didn't know why, but something told him that the time to reveal himself to her was soon.

Donnie's eyes went over to the picture again. His mind was finally, since the mutagen spillage incident, at peace, for now. He would only think of the mystery girl right now, rather than the ginger and her date.

Wait... her date...

He glared at the framed picture, though not exactly at the people inside it, but his eyes had a distant look. The image of him rubbing a thumb over her cheek before the turtle fell over the edge of the building burned incandescently in his mind. The Pulverizer, who was only watching silently, knew the mien on Donnie's face.

"She was on a date! Ridiculous!"

So the nightly rant began.

-

Author's Notes: Chapter title is inspired from Disney's Mulan 2020. It's surprisingly good, even when they changed the writing of the plot. Four stars.