Enchanted

"My son, Akin, is the one you're going to marry." Mrs Olakira said pointing to her son.

Troy looked at the boy in question. Akin met Troy's gaze for a moment then he stood up and walked out of the hospital ward.

"Akin! Akin!" His mother called after him. "Excuse me a minute,dear." She followed him out.

Troy looked at Samantha. She looked stunned, she hadn't said a word since the woman declared that the boy was her intended.Abruptly, her demeanor changed. She looked ready to explode.

"Dad, what does she mean by that? Who's that boy?" She turned to Mr Coker.

Mr Coker looked a bit helpless. He fidgeted a bit before he spoke.

"Everything she said is true. My friend's dying request to me was that I should let his son marry you, my daughter. We were such close friends that I couldn't deny him that chance at knowing his son's future in that regard was sealed. I thought I'd be able to tell you one day but I wasn't about to start discussing marriage with you. Not at this age at least. I do not know why Funke would bring it up now of all times."

Mr Coker spoke with an hint of plea in his voice. Samantha took a long time before saying anything.

"Did mom know about this? Was she in support of your decision?"

Mr Coker was clearly unprepared for such coldness. Samantha spoke as if she were already distancing herself from him. He winced as if from physical pain. He shook his head.

"Your mother didn't know. Only I and Funke knew about her husband's request and Funke was the only person that witnessed me give my assent."

Troy didn't know how he felt about this declaration. On the one hand, he knew he definitely felt something for Samantha, something strong enough that he alone would want to lay claim to her. He also knew he wouldn't want to see her with anyone else. Then again, he had never really thought that far ahead. Sure, he wanted to be her boyfriend,but her husband? Come on...they were just teenagers, weren't they? Surely,they didn't have to think of marriage for years to come.

'What was it with these people?' He thought 'who gifts his daughter for a dead man's request?

'But then' a voice in his mind whispered 'what do you know about this people? What do you know about their customs, traditions? Aren't you just an outsider, a foreigner?'

Troy's dad, Mr Carmichael, broke the silence.

"Maybe we should leave Samantha and her Dad alone for a while, Troy"

"No" Samantha said "I'm coming with you. Was about leaving anyways"

"Sam....." Mr Coker muttered as all three of them left.

"I'll come by later,Kelvin" Mr Carmichael said.

They left the ward and saw that Mrs Olakira and her son were just outside the door.

"But, Akin" Mrs Olakira was saying "It was your father's dying wish"

She sounded exasperated. Akin, on his part, didn't seem to have heard her. Mrs Olakira looked at the three of them leaving the ward. Her eyes homed in on Samantha and she beamed.

"My dear, your house was burned pretty bad. I know you still have your guest lodge but we would be honored to host you and your father's guests, the Carmichaels, until the insurance company sees to your house's repair. At least for the remainder of the month."

Mr Carmichael answered in Samantha's place.

"We appreciate your kind gesture but please rest assured, we will find some good hotel around. We will also be responsible for Samantha at least for the remainder of her father's stay in the hospital. Please do not bother yourself."

Mrs Olakira shook her head as she replied.

"That won't do at all. My family and the Cokers are more or less the same, you know. Their guests are also our guests. You won't be any bother at all. You're all welcome, especially Samantha. Please reconsider, I won't take no for an answer."

Mr Carmichael seemed at a loss for what to do. Finally,he accepted Mrs Olakira's invitation and asked for time to go over to get their luggage. Mrs Olakira said she would arrange for someone to come over to take them. On the quick trip back to the Cokers' residence, there was hardly any conversation at all among the three. Mr Carmichael drove them. As he did, he checked back at Samantha and Troy in the backseat of the car and noticed that Samantha looked confused. He pitied her, the news was probably a lot to take in. He didn't know arranged marriages were still in practice in modern-day Nigeria. Most of all, he didn't expect that Kelvin with all of his contemporary views would be party to such an act. All the same he expected Samantha's reaction. What he did not expect was Troy's transfixed expression as he looked at Samantha. It was as if he couldn't look away even if he tried. Mr Carmichael was surprised. He had thought Troy had some girl he was always with back home in the States;not that he was always at home to make sure. But here his son was, clearly infatuated with Samantha.
'My,my' Mr Carmichael thought as he concealed a smile 'Aren't we in for an adventure.'