Chapter 4

I can't remember the last time I was outsmarted, especially outsmarted by a white wolf. 

I think the last one who had a chance to deceive me was my predecessor and the Alpha he followed.  

Bastards the both of them. 

I remember when they tried to trick me into betraying Kane and Colin, well aware that my kid-self had a soft spot for the two brats. 

"My dear Saiph," the Beta's voice was sickeningly sweet, his dull gray eyes dancing with malice as he held my small hand tightly, "We are going to meet the Alpha today, are you excited." 

I was indifferent, staring ahead with a dead gaze. 

"The Alpha really favors you," he started, trailing off about how great our leader is.

Brainwashing shit  that he thought I would fall for. 

Which I did. 

We approached the pack house that holds all the offices, the Alpha was patiently waiting  on the porch. He wore a casual baby blue button up, perfectly tailored to his fit body, with black dress pants with a belt that has seen too much blood than preferred. His hair was blinding white, shining so brightly you can 

"Hello my dear," the Beta handed me off to the Alpha who took my hand and lead me up, "Joyce had just baked a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies just for you." 

I was touched, and considering how I was raised, any sort of food was appreciated. Especially food that isn't for survival but for pleasure. 

"So do you know why I called for you today?" He was sitting at his desk, watching me chomp away. "Well I was hoping we can practice activating your power." 

Activating my what? 

"You know how all white wolves have powers right?" 

This I acknowledged and nodded quietly. 

"Do you know how I mastered my powers?"  He was smiling at me. A smile I used to thought was nice. Little did I know what he was planning for me. 

I was so naïve back then. 

"I got rid of all distractions," with that he stood and held out his hand for me to take, "come along little star, we need to prepare." 

I managed to brace myself before I fell into the treetops. I felt my arms and legs got sliced up as I reached out to try and grab any branches to lessen the inevitable impact. 

Finally making contact with the ground with a sickening crack I tried to sit up initially but my left arm was not responding. 

Looking down at my shoulder my arm lay dangling lifeless. Examining myself further I notice my left leg is also pointing in an interesting direction. My foot is completely twisted around, with my ankle swollen like a grapefruit. 

I have never felt pain, and even now I don't really feel anything. I simply just told my body not to feel it. 

"God damn," I adjusted my leg so it's straight and adjusted the joints with my good arm so that they were aligned well. I focused on my leg, basically willed my bones to mend back together and my joints to reset as the swelling immediately went down. Small cracking sounds were eerily audible as my leg fully healed. 

Within a minute I was able to stand up, squatting up and down to test out my legs. I then turned to a nearby tree, running forward and slamming my shoulder into it, shoving my arm back into it's socket with a bone-chilling pop. 

This felt a little sore, but soon I was able to roll my arm around to see how well I set my joints. 

Stretching my arms and legs, I even went into a slight backbend, letting out a slight sigh from it. And as I nearly bent back a whole 90 degrees I caught a slight scent of another wolf. Perhaps I fell into a territory and this is one of the scouts. 

"Hello there," I spun around, crossing my arms and staring in the direction of the smell, "I am an American and I am lost." 

There was slight rustling behind the bushes before a man stood straight up, the bushes thankfully covering his bits. He had pretty pale skin for a wolf, of course I'm a bit on the pale side too, but he looks like he hasn't really seem much sun. His dark brown hair made his skin look even paler and his eyes were just as dark.

"What kind of freak of nature are you?" His accent sounded slightly , but Irish, but I can't really tell where he is from. Either way his English was very clear. He also didn't smell like a rogue. 

"I'm a werewolf like you, so tell me what pack does this forest belong to?" I looked around. I couldn't smell any other wolves, but I suspect more of his pack is arriving. 

"You are on the Mountain Rock pack territory." He answered really confidently and full of pride. A true pack warrior. 

Mountain Rock? That's one of the biggest packs in Europe, specifically in Ireland. Nearly the whole island of Ireland was run by this pack, the Alpha basically the king of the land. 

"I'm from the Evergreen pack," I hope our reputation precedes us. 

He seems to know of us, his eyes slightly widen, "That makes you Beta Saiph Vera?" 

I nod. I am really one of the few black wolves who hold a leadership position in such an old pack. I think I stand out more because I am a girl. 

"Why are you here," he paused for a moment, "Ma'am." He stood straighter, almost revealing himself to me. But at least he is as respectful as a nude man can be. 

"There was a white wolf on my territory, one that can teleport and transport," I brushed off some leaves that I finally noticed were stuck on my leggings. "I so I got transported." 

"From all the way from America?" He paused again, "Ma'am?" 

I nod, making eye contact with him and not seeing any hidden motive to all his questions, "What is your name warrior?" 

"I am Edmund O'Connor, ma'am," He saluted me, "Proud warrior of the Mountain Rock pack." 

"At ease," I finally catch the scent of other wolves, "It seems your backup is here." 

He nods, "I do not mean to be hostile, it is simply protocol." 

"I understand." 

I felt something strange in my chest, it was tingly and warm but not quite irritating. Soon, various wolves surrounded me, all seeming to be large, experienced, warriors. 

One in particular was the largest.

A black and brown wolf with amber colored eyes. I could almost see my reflection in them. Like a pool of honey, but his pupils shooting at me like a stinger. As soon as our eyes connected the feeling in my chest sky-rocketed. 

I have a strange feeling about him.