Chapter 5

"Ma'am, Alpha Dynes would like you to follow him," Edmund gestured to the large black and brown wolf who was still staring intensely at me. 

Alpha Liam Castor Dynes. Essentially the King of this island. I'm surprised he came in person to what really is an intruder. 

"Alright," I stood there for a moment, noticing no one else was moving, not even Alpha Dynes. "Is something wrong?" 

The back of my head tingled, telling me they are all mindlinking each other. 

"Beta Vera," Edmund cleared his throat, "Are you not going to shift? Or would you rather ride one of the warriors' back?" 

"I assure you I can keep up in this form." 

Edmund nods and proceeds to shift back into his dark brown wolf, nodding to his alpha in this form as everyone prepares to run. 

I would've shifted if we were back at home, but this territory is unknown to me so you never know when I need to talk my way out of a situation. 

The Alpha began to run seemingly at full speed, almost throwing off some of the warriors who stumbled forward. Perhaps he was testing me, seeing how I was keeping up, bare-footed sprinting through this forest. 

It's a lot colder here than in America, and the trees seems almost taller and wider that the ones at home. The floor is a lot more littered with stick, rocks, and leaves. Apparent to me as the sharp rocks slice up the soles of my feet. Not that it really mattered seeing how my feet heal before a single drop of blood escapes.

But the cool air was quite refreshing, I could see myself taking leisurely walks if I ever get free time. 

The run to what I thought was going to be a pack house turned into a run into an old-fashion European town. 

Brick roads and sidewalks with looming black street lamps that evenly line up in front of various brick townhouses and stores. This place seemed like a homey paradise. Various people in jackets and boots, some with woolen hats and some with scarves. 

No one really batted an eye at the small posse of wolves, but almost all stopped to bow at their alpha who slowed his pace and walked straight in through the town. 

There were  few small cars that lined the road, but all were dwarfed by the sheer size of the wolves. 

I could feel all the eyes that suddenly were planted on me, and my sensitive ears picked up all the gossip that sprouted. 

"Who is she?" 

"She looks like a doll." 

"A black wolf?"

"I thought all the black wolves were shifted off to the island." 

"Do you think she escaped?" 

"What rank to you think she falls on?" 

"Is she going to kill Alpha Dynes?"

"She definitely is going to hurt someone." 

It seems everyone could hear them as some of the warriors cautiously eyed me like I was a ticking time bomb. If I was that sensitive to comments like that I would've already wiped out the council. The council tried to ship me off to the island. Lucky for me the previous alpha was quite the smooth-talker. One of the only nice things he did for me. 

We finally approached a massive gate at the end of this main road, leading to what is almost a castle in my opinion.

A grand front garden with a massive fountain topped with a woman in a ball-gown style dress and a wavy cape. Despite that she was carved out of marble, the fabric and embroidery of her dress were only slightly faded but still looked so soft and silky. Her hair was just as flowy as her cape, and so long it reached her hips. Her arms, both decorated in long bell sleeves, were outreached in front of her, her hand open and ready to receive. 

"Pharisha?" I mumbled to myself, unsure why I thought of that name.

The wolves all entered the giant entrance that fit a few of them at a time, where lines of maids were all dressed in the same uniform and all had neatly folded pile of clothes in their arms. Handing them all to the wolves, all of them wandered into various halls and came back nicely dressed in pressed suits and some even had ties. 

All barefooted though. 

Standing on the red velvet rug, some whispering to each other, and the maids who kept their heads bowed. Some maids walked away and were replaced with other maids who have cleaning tools for the mud that was trekked everywhere.

I remained outside, staring at the statue with curiosity.

"That's the demi-god Pharisha, one of the Children of the Stars," a deep voice with barely any accent came from behind me, and judging by his scent it's Alpha Dynes. 

"Children of the Stars?" It sounds familiar, but I have no idea what that is. 

"They are direct descendants of the Moon Goddess's royal court," he's being exceptionally casual with me, it's almost jarring. 

But Black wolves were considered the direct descendants of the Moon Goddess herself, literally cut from her hair and formed into beings. She thought the mortal realm lacked order and leaders so sacrificed her blessed midnight black hair to create the first black wolves. 

It's an odd legend even for me who is a black wolf. 

Of course, like many legends, there are several plot holes. 

There was a slight awkward silence that formed between us, and with this strange feeling in my chest I chose to ignore it and cleared my throat, "Do you have an international phone I can use?" 

He nods, turning around and walking back towards the grand entrance. I guess he wants me to follow him. 

"Clyde," a butler of sorts appeared pretty much out of Alpha Dynes' shadow, his pure white hair tied nicely into a low ponytail with a black ribbon that matched his black butler suit. He gave off an elegant feel, even having a monocle and everything. "Give Beta Vera the international phone." 

Butler Clyde nodded and walked up to me - even his steps were elegant - and clasped his white-clothed-gloved hands together and opened up to a small flip-phone. 

I took it from him and eyed him cautiously, briefly connecting eyes with his cold silver eyes. I've never seen a white-wolf ability like this. 

Quickly dialing Collin I only waited one ring tone before he picked up. 

"Hello this is Collin speaking, there is something going on right now so I can-" he was speaking so quickly and sounding quite out of breath, like he's been running around. 

"Collin it's Saiph, I need you to calm down a-" 

"Saiph?!" He screamed, causing me to pull the phone away from my sensitive ears, "You're alive, thank the Moon and Stars and the Goddess an-" 

"Collin don't cut me off," I quickly scold, noticing the side-eyes I'm getting from the surrounding wolves, "I need you to calm down." 

"R-right, sorry," he took a deep breath, whispering to someone, "it's Saiph!" 

"Is Kane there?" I looked at Alpha Dynes who was staring very intensely at me. 

"Yeah." 

"Put him on." 

"Ok." 

There was slight shuffling and mumbling, I could hear Collin whisper "She sounds upset." 

"S-saiph?" Kane cleared his throat. 

"How is your mate? Is she alive?" My voice - to me - was monotonous but there was a slight chill in the air. 

"Yes she's fine," Kane's voice was equally monotonous, but I could sense the slight panic in it. 

"Did she explain what she did to me?" I maintain my eye contact with Alpha Dynes, seeing how we are now locked in a staring contest. 

"Yes, well, kinda," he cleared his throat again, "She said her powers are the 'journey of destiny.'" 

What the hell does that mean?