6. Dinner

A/N: Slight trigger warning in this chapter that deals with suicide. Just a heads up.

Harry's POV

   I had never had Chinese food before. Not because I hadn't wanted to try it but because we just never had the extra money to spend on things like that. Food was a necessity, but we didn't get glamorous with it. Most nights it was box dinners.

    So when Mr. and Mrs. Marks carried in 3 large brown paper bags full of food, I had no idea how to react. They set everything up buffet style across the kitchen counter, handed us all a plate and told us to dig in.

    There was more food here then I had on most holidays, and that was the truth.

    Shannon had already made her plate and was sitting down at the table talking to her mom and dad about something. Bea was the last one to come down for dinner, so she was behind me in the line of scooping food on our plates.

   I eyed the containers of food and didn't know what half of it was, other than the rice and chicken.

    "Those are lo mein noodles," Bea said suddenly. "They're super good. Probably my favorite."

   She must have seen me eyeing the containers of food with a distinct look of confusion on my face. The fact that she didn't ask me why I looked so lost made me like this young girl even more. She was very intuitive for someone that was only 14.

    "What else is your favorite?" I ask, after putting a scoop of the noodles on my plate.

    "I love the noodles, rice, and the sweet and sour chicken. The bourbon chicken is really good too. Oh! And the pork dumplings. You can't go wrong with any of it." She tells me, and points to each container as she names them off for me, clearly excited about this feast for dinner tonight. Despite the almost sad look that's been on her face since she realized I was here. Which I was still confused about.

"I'm trusting you to not make me eat something that might have my dinner showing up again later." I tell her with a joking smile on my face.

"I'd never lead you astray." Bea says, joking back with me, and I can see the smile in her gray eyes even with all the bruising surrounding them.

    "You're really feeling better?" I ask, knowing despite what she says she still has to be in pain.

    "I am. My face still looks rough, but the swelling has gone down and the medicine the doctor gave me helps too." She says and smiles at me. I smile back and turn back towards the food. "Thank you again for what you did."

"Don't mention it." I say.

    I scoop a little bit of everything she said was good on my plate, and then make my way to the table. It's a round wooden table and only had 4 seats, but I can see where one of them has placed an extra chair around the table for me to sit in.

    It just so happens to be placed between Shannon, and the only other empty seat that Bea will occupy shortly after.

    I don't know why that makes me feel weird, but it does.

Bea sits down beside me next with a plate overflowing with food, and everyone starts digging in. I notice all of them are eating their food with two short and skinny wooden sticks.