16. Party 2.0

Harry's POV

   "Dude c'mon, do not bail on us tonight." Zayne says while sitting in my room with me on Saturday night.

     "I'm not in the mood to go out to a party," I run my hands down my face, not in the mood to have this same damn fight with him again.

     "You're never in the mood for anything anymore!" Zayne tosses his hands up in frustration and then stands from the bed and starts pacing my room. "What the hell do you wanna do anymore?"

     "It's not like I drink at these things anyway, so why would I go? What fun am I going to have watching all of you get shit faced and end up being the designated driver for everyone?"

    Zayne groans. "Bro, I don't know. But you've never cared about going before, and now all of sudden you can't be bothered to do anything."

    I shrug my shoulders. "I'm just not in the mood for it anymore."

     "Where were you last night?" He asks suddenly.

     "Huh?"

     "Where. Were. You. Last. Night?" He asks again, annunciating each word. "And don't say home, because you weren't here."

     "How do you know that?"

     "Because I came by here and when your mom finally stumbled her way to the door, she said you had left and hadn't come back. And you didn't text me back until about 12 o'clock today this afternoon."

    "What are you, my keeper or something?" I deflect, not even knowing what the hell I'd say about Bea to him. Or to explain things.

     After breakfast with her, I dropped her back off at her home. I came to my house and slept a little more before finally answering Zayne's multiple texts I'd missed. Uninvited, like always, he showed up at my house tonight demanding I go to a party with him that some kid was throwing that graduated from our school like 4 years ago. I had no intentions of going.

     "No, I'm your best friend that you're keeping shit from."

    "Fine. I slept in my car with Bea and then we went and got breakfast together at Hub's."

    Zayne just stares at me. "I'm sorry, did you say you slept in the car with your ex-girlfriends little sister? Who you swore off and refused to be with because you're 'too old for her'?"

     "She was not my girlfriend, and you know that." Zayne said shit like that just to piss me off.

    "Okay, I know. But the other part? Sleeping in your car with her?"

    I sighed and leaned back on my bed, looking up at the ceiling. "I couldn't sleep and didn't want to be at home with my Ma, so I went for a drive to clear my head. I ended up seeing Bea walking on the side of the road only about two miles away from our side of the tracks."

    "Walking?" Zayne exclaims. "The fuck was she doing walking in the dark that late and that far from her house?"

     "She was literally half asleep man. She's been having trouble sleeping ever since the robbery, nightmares. Her family was all gone for the night. She just started walking, and had no idea how far she'd even walked."