24

Elijah was glad he'd stayed

Elijah was glad he'd stayed. Not just because he felt relief at pulling her body towards his chest, grateful to have her with him and to know she was alright, but also because she stirred, time and time again and he was able to press her back to sleep.

He didn't know what dreams she was having, didn't know the memories that forced themselves into her head and caused her to whimper and cry out. She didn't wake from them either, they weren't strong enough to cause her to wake, only enough for her to shake, apologies pushed from her lips. He didn't enter her thoughts to find out the root, he respected her more than that and wouldn't allow himself to invade her privacy but after the third time he felt her stir he did force a dream to her head, a happier one. The dream was one that allowed her peace until she woke, relief from the day she'd spent in fear.

"Good morning," Elijah greeted. His thumb had been swiping slowly on her hip for the better part of an hour but it was as she shifted into consciousness and spun in his grip to face him that he spoke.

"Morning," she yawned, "God, I need to shower. Sorry I made you stay last night I probably stink after all that."

"It's alright," he smiled, "I've been with Niklaus for a thousand years."

"Are you saying I smell like a dog?" she teased with a laugh, her hand flicking out to hit him on the chest, "You really are just as rude as your brother."

"On the contrary, we were alive for nearly a millennium before deodorant was invented and bathing was commonplace, believe me, you smell angelic. Besides, no one is nearly as rude as Klaus, he truly cornered that niche several centuries ago."

"You got that right," she laughed, her hand rising to push the hair from her face before her expression softened, "Thank you for staying with me."

"Always," he said gently, hesitating a moment before continuing, "Do you have dreams like that often?"

Frankie sighed, she should've known that he would ask and though she wished she could ignore it she knew she couldn't. It wasn't that she was necessarily frightened of Mitch, more that things made her remember how she felt with him, nervous and apologetic.

She shook her head, her eyes shutting as though that would help her escape from the memory, "Just when something happens that makes me remember what it felt like, then I have a bad night or two."

"He won't come near you again," he promised, "I didn't kill him like you asked, but I compelled him to move away, to never contact you again and to never hurt anyone again."

Frankie's eyes shot to his in surprise, "Really?"

Elijah nodded, "He'll never even speak to you again."

"Thank you."

Although really she shouldn't have, Frankie felt comforted by Elijahs hand that still lay on her hip, his thumb swiping gently back and forth. Her eyes kept flickering away from his that still stared much to fondly at her but she certainly didn't hate being beside him right now.