30

By the time morning arrived, Elijah had made up his mind that he would do whatever it took to ensure Frankie, Hayley and his family's safety

By the time morning arrived, Elijah had made up his mind that he would do whatever it took to ensure Frankie, Hayley and his family's safety. Frankie had woken up first for a change, stumbling down the stairs of the compound to find coffee when she'd saw the gift that had been left for the Mikaelsons, immediately rushing back up the stairs.

"Elijah," she said, a sharpness to her tone that made him sit up to face her immediately, "You'll wanna see this."

"What is it?" he asked, already standing from the bed and moving to grab trousers, "Are you alright?"

"Just go see," she told him, "I'll call Klaus."

Elijah sped from the room and just as quickly she tugged her phone to her ear.

"Glad to see we're back to our daily check ins," Klaus mocked down the line, "I'm sure you've been missing me sweetheart but I didn't know it was this much."

"Oh fuck off," she laughed, "You should come home, theres something in the compound that you ought to see."

"Home?" Klaus teased her, "Dear me if I'd known you were moving in I'd-"

"Are you coming or not," she snapped, "lord, I meant what I said about your siblings daggering you longer than Finn if they could."

"You're always welcome to stay," Klaus told her, a moment of almost tenderness before promptly hanging the phone up before she could reply.

Frankie rolled her eyes in annoyance but secretly her chest burned with the kindness Klaus was showing her again and again.

Although she tried not to think about it, without her brother, sometimes she truly felt so alone in the world it hurt. Klaus' kindness and his friendship helped, it made her feel just that little bit more okay. Her relationship with him was different than what she had with Elijah, more brotherly, but it was nice knowing she had more people in her life that cared about her even when she pushed them away.

It took her a moment to gather herself after the call and by the time she arrived downstairs, not only were Klaus and Elijah circling Papa Tunde's corpse, but Marcel and Rebekah were too.

"-But the witches are celebrating like it's some kind of bloody miracle," Rebekah said, the end of her sentence all that Frankie caught as she entered the room.

"Maybe it is," Marcel responded, a glimmer of hope in his eyes now at what Rebekah had told them, "They think that all hope is lost, but now suddenly Monique, a Harvest girl, is resurrected. This is how we're gonna get Davina back, kill the witch who took her place."

Frankie's eyes shot to Elijah at Marcels words as though silently asking him if he thought it were possible. Though his expression was unreadable, it didn't seem as though he was furrowing his face into a frown of scepticism and when his eyes met hers he gave her a short nod telling her it could be true.