Ⅶ. Against the Candlelight

{Griffin}

{Griffin}

     "SO WHAT'S going on between you and Viktor Krum?" I wiggled my eyebrows teasingly.

Today was December 12th and Snape's end of term, seven page essay was due in one week. Almost every fourth year student was spending their time finishing it while I, on the other hand, had yet to start. I blame procrastination. Now Hermione had already written nine pages, but she needed citations so we decided it would be beneficial to visit the library.

My question had come completely out of the blue and she looked up from her reading, pretending to be in thought. "Whatever do you mean?"

"I mean I saw the way he looked at you today. When we were by the lake studying for the Transfiguration quiz."

She blushed before replying, "I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about."

I tilted my head and scoffed a smile. "Oh come on! Just because I spent a majority of last summer in America does not make me daft." Hermione laughed at that, closing her textbook and shrugging. "He's... nice. We've only talked a few times but," she paused, shaking her head. "I mean it's nice when he could have anyone in the school and for some strange reason chooses to talk to me."

I looked at my best friend curiously. "Hermione, he would have to be blind not to talk to you. You're amazing."

"Stop it," she blushed and tugged a wavy strand of hair behind her ear. I took a second to admire the reaction, forever thankful of our friendship. The first couple of months at Hogwarts had been extremely hard on me; I was awfully homesick, struggled in my classes, and simply felt out of place. It wasn't until I became close to Hermione and the boys that I truly felt at home in the castle and broke out of my shell.

Suddenly, her eyes widened and she sighed, "Bollocks, it's been an hour. We should head out."

I frowned and stared down at my paper, which held one, measly paragraph of writing. "I should probably stay a bit longer."

"Are you sure? You'll miss supper."

"Trust me when I say I'd rather do anything but write this essay on a Saturday night. It's just I've barely gotten anything done, so I should at least aim to finish the first page now." 

"Okay, well don't forget-"

"Do not fret, I'll be back before curfew," I laughed.

"Hm, alright. I'll see you at the dorms then." She packed her bag and started to leave before quickly adding, "Leave around half past seven so Madam Pince doesn't kick you out like last time!"

"Got it, thanks Mum!" I saluted her with hints of a smile tugging at my lips. Then, reluctantly continued my reading in the hopes of escaping a serious case of writer's block. A couple minutes passed before I finally started getting in the study groove; that is, until a certain someone interrupted.