XXVI. Precious Memories

{Griffin}

{Griffin}

     DUMBLEDORE WAS gone.
Umbridge had accused him of forming D.A. to overthrow the Ministry, which resulted in a failed attempt to get him arrested and sent to Azkaban. Of course the clever wizard predicted something like this would happen and successfully carried out his escape plan. Unfortunately, this led to Umbridge being appointed our new headmaster, leaving Hogwarts under her absolute tyranny.

I chewed on my bottom lip, repeatedly tapping my quill against the wooden table. After a minute, Hermione let out an agitated sigh and peered up from her Charms' textbook. "Are you okay?" she asked, gesturing to my anxious habit.

"Fine," I blinked and set the quill down. "Sorry."

"It's fine," she pursed her lips and opened her mouth to say something else. When she could not figure out how to start the conversation, she closed it again. I tried giving my undivided attention to reading, but it wasn't long before Hermione spoke up again.

"Draco's acting differently."

My eyes quickly flickered up to scan the library. No one was close enough to eavesdrop so I shrugged, "Really? I haven't noticed."

"He's been keeping his distance lately. From all four of us, I mean." Her tone was casual, but I knew she was itching to ask me something. "Do you still have feelings for him?"

Ah, there it is.

"Did Harry and Ron press you to ask me that?"

The witch's eyes widened for a second and she shook her head. "No," Hermione denied. "No, I was just wondering. You know, sometimes I catch him staring at you in class."

I looked back up, stunned she had made note of that. Over the last few weeks, it was not entirely uncommon to feel Draco's burning gaze settled on me; his unwavering eyes drilled into mine, probably hoping I would meet them.

I never did.

It may be stubborn, but he had not made any moves to approach me and I was not going to give in first.

"Or," Hermione went on, "when we pass him in the halls recently, I see him glare daggers at Harry and Ron but choose to hold back the usual insults."

That, I had noticed. "I think it's because of our fight," I said quietly. "On the day D.A. was caught, after I told him we couldn't... anyways, he tried to keep me from getting into trouble. So it's all a bit complicated."

"Explain," she requested. Her bourbon eyes shined with determination as she flipped her book shut, making it clear she would listen without judgment.

I took a deep breath and hesitated. "Well... he is a complicated person. Just when I think he's changed, something happens to make me question it." I paused, reflecting through all of the negatives. "Draco is arrogant. He brags about his fortune and calls us mudblood and takes jabs at Ron's family name. And you know how he loves tormenting Harry, who luckily has the backbone to defend himself."