XIV. Moving Staircases

{Griffin}

{Griffin}

     THE GREAT hall buzzed with energy.
After a long day of sitting on the train, students were happy to scarf down their long awaited meals. The Gryffindor table was exceptionally loud as everyone participated in lively conversations. "Good evening, children," Professor Dumbledore greeted from his podium and a silence fell over the houses. "Now, we have two changes of staffing this year."

"I wonder if Professor Snape finally got assigned Defense Against the Dark Arts," I heard Fred whisper to his twin. I glanced at the professor in question but found he was already looking at me. Snape quickly broke eye contact, taking a sip of water and I furrowed my eyebrows.

Must be my imagination.

"No way. At this point I reckon Dumbledore doesn't give it to him on purpose," George snickered.

Ginny gave them a sideway glare, "Can you boys shush? I'm actually trying to pay attention." Her words made me realize my mind had wandered, so I made myself refocus on the headmaster.

"We also welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher... Professor Dolores Umbridge."

"Shit, what did I tell you?" George whispered while elbowing Fred playfully.

"And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck. Now as usual, our caretaker, Mr. Filch, has asked me to remind you-"

A high-pitched giggle came from the far right of the Professor Table. Dumbledore went silent as the short woman slowly rose out of her seat and walked towards the front. "She was at my hearing. She works for Fudge," Harry whispered to me.

"Thank you, headmaster, for those kind words of welcome," the new professor grinned, cupping her hands together. "And how lovely to see all your bright, happy faces smiling up at me."

I glanced around at everyone's bored expressions.

"I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends."

"That's likely," the twins muttered at the same time.

Professor Umbridge paused, forcing a smile before continuing, "The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each headmaster has brought something new to this historical school... progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged."

"What does that mean?" I asked Hermione. She shrugged and surprisingly looked just as confused as I did. Ron glanced back with an amused look on his face as the ridiculous speech continued.

"Let us preserve what must be preserved... perfect what can be perfected... and prune practices that ought to be prohibited," the professor finished, giggling again.

Dumbledore began clapping his hands together. "Thank you, Professor Umbridge. That really was most illuminating."

"Illuminating?" Ron questioned as students around us clapped their hands politely. "What a load of waffle."