XXI. Dumbledore's Army

{Griffin}

{Griffin}

     "DRACO MALFOY?"
My curly-haired friend now sat next to me, her face scrunched up with contemplation as my words sunk in. After summing up a few of the interactions I had shared with Draco since last winter -and my complicated feelings that developed with them- Hermione was left in utter disbelief. "The Slytherin?"

"No, the Hufflepuff," I responded, trying to lighten the mood.

She gave me an enreast look, thoughtfully calculating the situation. "Well, that doesn't sound like the Draco we know and despise. Why didn't you say anything sooner?"

"Because...I don't know. It's complicated, I guess."

There was a pause and Hermione shut her mouth, wanting to say something but obviously deciding against it.

"I know. This is bad, isn't it?" I grimaced.

She sighed, "That's one word for it."

"I just don't know where I stand with him. Don't get me wrong, I-I know that I can not possibly fancy him. But I feel like... there's a different side to him."

"I don't need to remind you he's not a good person, Griff. But I know that you tend to let your heart lead your actions, which sometimes gets you into trouble. So just... tell me you'll be careful."

Nodding my head, I offered a small smile. "Don't worry, I will."

Before Hermione could get another word in, the door blew open and our dorm-mates poured in. "So then," Lavender laughed loudly, "I was like how daft is-" She stopped herself, taking notice of Hermione and I's solemn expressions. "Oopsies, are we interrupting something?"

Hermione forced a smile at the three girls and shook her head. "Not at all."

They resumed their conversation with ease and my best friend muttered a goodnight, leaving for her own bed. A part of me was relieved that I had told someone, even though the next day she pretended the conversation about Draco had never happened. Hesitating, I unfolded his letter and read its ink-kissed paper.

Blakes,
Sorry about how Crabbe and Goyle acted
yesterday. They're real gits sometimes.
Also, I just remembered you never did
thank me for buying your butterbear.
-Draco Malfoy

I composed a response and scanned outside my window, only to find his owl waiting nearby. Biting my lip, I carefully passed it the parchment.

Hi Draco.
You're right, I never said that.
So did you lot get into trouble with Umbridge?
-Griffin

Not even ten minutes later, and much to my surprise, Draco sent me another.

Blakes,
Wow, you are very welcome. You're right
that was very generous of me. And no but I
appreciate your concern. She asked us to
join some sort of union.
-Draco M.