XXVIII. The Cliff's Edge

{Griffin}

{Griffin}

     "WHAT A pretty sunset."
Luna hummed a soft melody, as if she was not currently being held against her will. "Shut it," Pansy snapped at the Ravenclaw, who continued to starrily gaze out of the office's pane windows. Ginny lifted onto her tippy toes to look outside as well, when Crabbe abruptly pulled her back.

"Ow," she scoffed.

Ron struggled against his captor and growled, "Don't you dare put a hand on my sister."

"Calm down," Pansy said, rolling her eyes. "He wouldn't want to lay a finger on that little blood traitor if she was the last witch on earth."

Draco hesitated before smiling along to the other squad members' snickers, boosting Pansy's ego.

"You know," she turned to Ron but kept a firm grip on Luna's arm, "if Umbridge has it her way, this school will be Weasley-free soon enough. Thanks to your brothers' stunt today, we're already halfway there."

Ron and Ginny glared at her.

She grinned, completely unbothered, and dove back into a conversation amongst her friends. Draco remained silent behind me and I wondered if he would restrain me, were I to try and get away. After all, Umbridge had left them with strict orders to ensure we did not escape.

I wondered what was running through his head. It had been weeks- months since we'd last spoken. And here he was, so close yet so far away. It was torturous.

I want you, I thought to myself with such intensity that perhaps he would hear me. No, that's stupid.

I really did though; possibly more than I'd ever wanted anyone. Over the last few weeks especially, once I'd cooled down from our argument... I just missed him. Then I remembered how rude he was and reality would come crashing down on me. It was never going to happen, so I shook the unrealistic notions away and recentered my focus on the task at hand.

My eyes scanned the office, trying to form a possible escape plan. My friends all had their wands confiscated by the Slytherins, but Umbridge had personally disarmed me and stowed it away in a nearby drawer.

"Whatever you're thinking, don't," Draco whispered against my ear.

My heart skipped a beat but I ignored it, releasing a frustrated huff instead. I could not stay there -not when Harry and Hermione needed our help. Not when Sirius may be in terrible danger.

Draco's hand was wrapped around my elbow now, and I hoped it was only to prevent suspicion from his friends.

"Hey, Neville," Ron spoke up. "You still got those sweets on you? I'm kinda hungry." I looked at him with an expression that read, 'now's not the time.' He returned my eye contact calmly and I bit my tongue, turning to Neville as the corners of his mouth twitched up.