Ⅷ. The Yule Ball

{Draco}

{Draco}

     SOMETIMES, BREAKING things is acceptable.
As long as it's an item no one will miss, like that emerald green vase that decorates one of the coffee tables within the Slytherin common room. It sat there for years collecting dust; no will care for its absence.

I needed to channel my anger onto something tangible.

"Leave," I ordered some first years, who scrambled to get out of my way. I slouched down on the leather sofa, waiting until their retreating footsteps had completely faded away.

Clenching my jaw and inspecting the glass trinket in my hand, I impulsively hurled it across the room. The vase collided with the wall above the fireplace mantel, shattering to pieces. I took a sharp breath before sighing in satisfaction.

There were countless reasons that contributed to my towering rage, most of which shared one constant variable: Griffin Blakes. There was something about her -and I couldn't figure out exactly what- that intrigued me. It was frustrating when this girl I have despised for years suddenly became a person I tolerated.

These foreign thoughts floated around my head as I stared at the fire, dissecting my behavior over the past few weeks.

Ever since the first task of the Triwizard Tournament, her mere presence in a room influenced how I acted. Oftentimes, it translated by being distant or rude -which was typical for me- and yet, when we danced together at rehearsal, I hadn't entirely hated it.

Okay, vomit.

Moving on to the nightly study sessions... unfortunately, I did not hate those either. I actually found myself holding back insults in an effort to keep the peace. Then, Griffin decided to call me out tonight and it felt as if I had been caught committing a crime.

I did not want her to think I'd changed. Because I hadn't.

There's something seriously wrong with me.

And I couldn't decide which was worse; the fact that I allowed myself to find comfort in Blakes' company... or that I knew she could see right through me.

The following day did not improve my mood; especially once I caught wind of rumors that Diggory and Blakes were attending the Yule Ball together.

It's not like I did not have a date. Pansy had asked me ages ago. What I simply could not wrap my head around was that the two were most likely dating. I will admit, the Daily Prophet article from a few weeks ago had sparked my interest. I always thought she was out of Potter's league, even for a mudblood, but Cedric?

Something about her with a sixth year just did not sit well with me.

"Would you care to dance again? I love this song," Pansy spoke up, setting down her punch on the table.