XIII. Platform 9 ¾

{Griffin}

{Griffin}

y e a r 5

     MY ALARM went off loudly.
I groaned, hitting it and practically falling out of bed. Today was the first day of my fifth year attending Hogwarts. It was also the day I would see my best friends after two months of separation.

At the end of June, I had received an owl letter from Professor Dumbledore inviting me to spend the summer with a secret society called The Order of the Phoenix. It had been founded when Voldemort rose to power the first time, and I was informed that Ron and Hermione had accepted the offer. Although I wish I could have gone, my parents needed me at home.

They worried for my safety, especially once they found out I had been close friends with Cedric Diggory.

"Griffin dear, come down! Your mom just put the kettle on!" I heard my dad calling from the dining room.

"Coming!" I replied, hurrying to finish braiding my dark brown hair.

"Hurry up if you want to eat breakfast!" my mum yelled for me again. I sighed, not bothering to reply before grabbing the two trunks and exiting my bedroom.

"And top of the morning to you too," I breathed, plopping my heavy luggage on the floor. "Morning," they hummed. I grabbed a bite of toast, giving my father a weird look as he studied Henna. "Your owl is staring at my food, Griff. Did you feed her today?"

I looked over at the dark owl who perched inside her cage and shook my head, "No, she usually finds her own food when I let her out at night. Cause' owls are nocturnal, remember Dad?"

"Right! That's right," he nodded, adjusting his reading glasses and going back to the newspaper. I took another bite of my breakfast before the doorbell rang.

"Oh could you get that, Griff?" Mum asked as she sat at the table.

"Sure," I sighed, getting up and heading to the door. When I opened it there was a cluster of mail on the front porch. "It's just the mail!" I called over my shoulder, shuffling through the papers when one caught my eye.

It was a wrinkly letter with some messy cursive on the top addressed to my mother. "Mum, there's a letter for you!" I said, about to turn it over and see where it was addressed from when she snatched it from my hands.

"Hurry and get your things in the car, unless you want to be late for that train of yours," she warned with a teasing smile. I rolled my eyes, picking up my trunks and asking Dad to carry Henna out of the house.

Unfortunately, we had to say our goodbye there because the publishing company he worked for would not grant him the morning off. I was lucky my mother worked from home because she was able to send me off in person.

"Alright, you got everything? Your books and such?" Mum asked, her eyes watery as we entered Platform 9 ¾.

"Mum, please don't cry. I'll see you at Christmas," I laughed softly, engulfing her in a tight hug.

"I know, my dear. It's just hard to watch you leave."

I nodded, pulling away to look at her. "I'll send letters every weekend, I promise."

She sniffled but nodded her head. "You're a very good person, Griffin. Your father and I are so proud of you."

"I love you," I replied as we approached the train.

"I love you too. Have a good school year, alright? No funny business."

I laughed, "Definitely none of that."

We waved goodbye until I stepped onto the train and she was out of sight. Quickly, I made my way down the narrow hallway and looked through the compartment windows before spotting the one with my three best friends. I stored away my trunks and opened the sliding door, almost immediately being tackled by a hug.

"Griffin, thank Merlin!" Hermione exclaimed. "How have you been? Sorry Ron and I could not write, it was an Order of the Phoenix rule. Dumbledore sent you that information letter at the start of break, correct?"

"Yeah," I said, a bit overwhelmed by her enthusiasm.

"You'll have to excuse her, she had a cup of coffee this morning," Ron said, stepping up to hug me as well.

Hermione frowned and sat across from him, bringing out her book.

"Griff?" Harry stood, a smile on his face. "Harry, hey," I said, wrapping my arms around him. "So I know I was writing with you, but the past few weeks have been silent. What have I missed?" I asked, sitting down on the window seat beside Hermione.

The three of them exchanged looks and Ron sighed, "A bloody lot."

•••

     The train ride consisted of us discussing our summers. I was shocked to learn about the dementor attack and how Harry had avoided expulsion from Hogwarts by a hair. Then angered and annoyed that Mr. Fudge, the new Minister of Magic, had been slandering Harry's name all over the Daily Prophet and accusing him of lying about Voldemort's return. By the time we reached Hogwarts, we were all emotionally drained.

"I'm starving," Ron said to himself as we exited the train. "Me too," I said, walking on Harry's right side with Hermione and Ron trailing shortly behind us.

Suddenly, I heard a group of voices approaching -one of which I recognized all too well.

"I'm surprised the Ministry's still letting you walk around free, Potter," Draco Malfoy spat, strutting up beside us with his goons. "Better enjoy it while you can."

My lip curled up in distaste and I glanced at Harry, who was now clenching his fist. Draco didn't seem to notice, his eyes flickering to me before forcing his attention back to Harry. "I expect there's a cell in Azkaban with your name on it."

Harry lunged at the Slytherin, causing Ron to hold him back from throwing punches. Malfoy scoffed, bringing a hand to adjust the collar on his all black suit. "What'd I tell you? A complete nutter," he snarled, still watching us from a few feet ahead.

I scoffed and raised my arm, flipping him off.

The boys he was with hollered in amusement and Draco's smug smile faltered before they walked off. Harry pulled his arms out of Ron's grip.

"Don't listen to him," I said.

"I just wish he'd leave me alone," he huffed angrily.

"It's only Malfoy. What'd you expect?" Ron asked calmly. Our best friend didn't reply, going on ahead of us. Hermione clutched a bag to her chest and whispered, "I'm really worried about him."

I sighed, "Me too."

-Griffin flipping Draco off was a scene I wanted for so long😌 anyways pls vote/share/comment <3