XXV. The Enemy

{Draco}

{Draco}

     IS THIS some great, cosmic joke?
No self-respecting pureblood, especially one with such a reputable legacy tied to their surname, would ever associate themselves with a mudblood the way I had. There, I had to draw a line. I had to finally admit that enough was enough.

When had this whole nightmare even started? Right, obviously sometime after the second task of the Triwizard Tournament. That was the first time I felt compelled to kiss Griffin.

Salazar, forgive me.

I gripped my hair with force, running nails roughly against my scalp. A few stray students noticed my blatant discomfort and gave me questioning looks, but I ignored them. No, I refused to back down now. To hell if I let this opportunity slip through my fingers.

The Inquisitorial Squad had been assigned an order to locate the whereabouts of some club Blakes' pesky friends formed. One could only assume that was the get together she mentioned not even half an hour earlier, followed with something about the Room of Requirement. It didn't take much smarts to put two and two together; that room was where the meetings were held.

My father would certainly be pleased that I had discovered this information.

Besides, I was always keen to oppose Potter.

So I'd be damned if personal feelings got in the way of either, no matter how hard it was to deny my new regard for Griffin's welfare -which I had never possessed for...well, for anyone outside of the Slytherin house.

"Come in," a voice answered my knock.

Too late to back out now, I thought to myself.

It wasn't my fault Blakes included herself in the group of students who defied Hogwarts' new code of rules. In addition, if Umbridge felt inclined to disrupt their club today as I suspected she would, Griffin wouldn't even be caught. She said she wouldn't be there.

That eased my doubts enough to push through the wooden door, immediately surrounded by an overwhelmingly pink environment. "Mr. Malfoy, you're just in time," Umbridge chirped. "Some other squad members are due to arrive any second for the good news."

"Good news?" I furrowed my brows, eyes darting from her to a student sitting in a nearby desk. It was Cho Chang. She was crying. "What's happening here?"

"Oh, this?" Umbridge giggled, gesturing towards the Ravenclaw. "It's a rather exciting development. Of course it wouldn't have occurred without the help of Professor Snape, who was generous enough to provide me with Veritaserum."

Truth serum.

Right on cue, about five fellow Slytheryns entered the room and Pansy took a stance next to me. She tried to wrap a hand over mine but I efficiently avoided her hold, only acknowledging the witch with a single stiff nod.