60

Jennie's POV:

I hadn't slept much after Lisa hung up the call. Excitement buzzed through me, anticipating her return. Now, I found myself checking the clock repeatedly, waiting anxiously. The tension coiled within me, refusing to unwind. I groaned, trying to shake off the nerves. Finally, I stood and walked over to the mirror. Alone, I could practice how to welcome her without seeming awkward.

"Okay, Jennie Kim," I murmured to my reflection. "Just be yourself. She's Lisa—your wife, your best friend, the love of your life."

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, trying to calm the anticipation coursing through me. "Hi, Lisa," I began tentatively, cringing at how awkward I sounded. "I'm so happy to see you." I tugged at my hair, frustrated. "This is ridiculous. What if I mess this up when she's actually here?"

I massaged my temples, trying to think of the perfect way to greet her. I heard the doorbell ring, startling me. I jumped, then composed myself and walked to the door. I hesitated before opening it, taking a deep breath to steady myself.

When I opened the door, it wasn't Lisa standing there. It was Kai. Anger flared up inside me, replacing the excitement I had felt moments before. "What are you doing here, Kai?" I demanded, my voice firm.

"Jennie, let's talk, please," he said, reaching for my hand. I pulled away sharply.

"No! There's nothing left to talk about, Kai. We're over. Whatever we had is finished. Please leave and don't come back," I said, turning away from him.

He grabbed my arm, refusing to let go. "Let me go, Kai! I'll call the police," I warned, trying to free myself from his grip.

"Why? Do you think I can just let you go that easily? Jennie, I know you love me. You love me more than you love her. You're just with her out of guilt. Stop lying to yourself and be with me," he insisted, his voice rising in frustration.

"I've told you before, Kai. I don't love you and I never will. In fact, I should thank you for showing me how much I truly love Lisa, how much I love my wife," I said, my voice trembling with anger and hurt.

His face darkened, his fists clenched. "So you used me? Is that what you're saying?" he growled.

"Kai, please stop. I'm begging you," I pleaded, trying to push him away as he advanced towards me.

"I love you, Jennie. I love—" Before he could finish, I shouted, "And I don't love you, Kai!" I pushed against him, but he was stronger. He pressed his body against mine, his lips crashing onto mine forcefully.

I resisted, keeping my lips tightly closed, trying to push him away with all my strength. Tears welled up in my eyes as I struggled against him. He smirked triumphantly, thinking he had won, not realizing I was gathering my strength to push him away.

As soon as I had enough strength, I shoved him back. "See? Better than your wife, isn't it?" he taunted, his jaw tight with anger.

"No!" I yelled, my anger rising. I raised my hand to slap him, but he dodged. I turned, praying silently that Lisa hadn't seen any of this. I couldn't bear for her to witness this betrayal.

I felt her presence before I saw her. Trembling, I turned slowly to face her, feeling the weight of her gaze on me. My heart sank as I saw the disappointment and hurt in her eyes. She held flowers and a teddy bear, gifts meant for me that now lay discarded on the ground.

"L-Lisa, please let me explain," I pleaded, taking a hesitant step towards her. Before I could reach her, she turned and walked to her car. Panic surged through me, and I ran after her, banging on the car window.