Chapter 7: Terrible Timing

In life, we often believe that once bad things pass, once we dodge them by a single thread of hair, then we are free. The thing is, life is not a line, where the problems just run past to leave us be. It is more like a circle where they keep coming back. Some problems get tired and stop running after us and so others take their place, always changing while staying the same. But one thing is certain - if you are a teenager, the cycle can seem overwhelming.

It certainly was for Marinette later that day.

--------

Marinette realized that she was living the best day of her life.

She just got out of her car (with Adrien-freaking-Agreste by her side *yaaay*) in one of the most romantic cities in Europe that overwhelmed her senses so much that her creativity went into overdrive, she was free from worries and stress caused by the strenuous routine of Parisian life and uncertainty of the school day to day, unshackled from the fear of the virus in a city barely touched by it...

Luck was strong with her. Life was strong with her. Happiness was growing inside her. All those things made Marinette ignore her head that started to feel a bit heavy.

"Meet me here in half an hour." said their chauffeur as they all got out of the car.

"We are not at the hotel yet?"

The Czech driver shook his head. "The hotel is right around the corner. We are at the France embassy. Now that your father's assisant knows that you are safely in Prague, we are able to finish the documentation of your stay for the both of you." he nodded as if that was all self-evident and then turned towards the ambassy.

Adrien reached out. "Wait. Does that mean we can go around, without supervision?"

Their driver, whose nameplate they could finally read under the morning light -Karel with an English version next to it (Charles) - turned at them and shook his head. "This is no Paris, lad." he shook his head and walked away.

"I take it as a yes." Adrien said, shrugging. He turned to Marinette. "Since we can't stay in the car, wanna go take a quick walk to, as you said it, leg our stretch?" 

She turned red. "Not nice."

He laughed. "I think Prague is pretty nice." He gave her a look such that she was too heartstruck to read anything out of. And maybe there was something she didn't see... "Come on, let's go."

She followed him on the old, cobbled path. They were truly walking through a castle-city. It's literally a city in a castle. And the smells were so pleasant. This was truly no Paris, with its horrible metro and underkept streets. This was something magical.

They took a single turn.

"Well. That's a funny thing." Adrien noted as he pointed in front of him. "I didn't really expect this to be the first thing I see in Prague."

Marinette looked over his shoulder and couldn't hold back the laugh. Cafe de Paris. Genius. She shook her head. She slightly lost balance, but Adrien caught her.

"Woah, you okay?"

"Yeah, sorry." Marinette held a hand on her forehead. "My mind just got blurry, it's nothing."