Chapter 12: The Bedroom Problem

"I... ugh..." Adrien stuttered. "I am not sure how that happened." He turned to the frozen Marinette and exclaimed with hands forward. "I promise it was not made on purpose! I... I..." He sighed. "I think it's because... I was supposed to be here with Kagami. I am sorry I didn't tell you before inviting you. I understand it has to be really weird for you right now... I am sorry."

Brain freeze. "No, I knew."

Adrien frowned. "You knew? How... how could you know?"

Marinette shook her head. "No, I am new- What am I saying?" She face palmed herself. "I meant to say, it was obvious from the Asian decorations of this exact hotel room, the welcome card that was on the table and all the other small things, that they were expecting a different kind of couple than which arrived. Eh... not that we are a couple of course, it's just that there is two of us... And, eh, I understood immediately that Kagami was meant to be the one with you, not me. I realized that you two were no longer... a thing. But I didn't want to bring it up, because... I really didn't want to hurt you with that."

Adrien nodded slowly and then looked away. "I still should have brought it up sooner. Again, I am sorry for causing you confusion and making you feel uncomfortable. Please, set yourself in the bed. I will go sleep on the couch."

"On the couch?" Marinette repeated. "B-b-b-but you won't be able to sleep there!"

Adrien looked over his shoulder. "I am going to be fine. It's a couch, but it's not that bed." He winked at her.

Marinette, confused as ever, blinked at him. Then chuckled, covering her face. "Oh no..."

"Good night and sweet dreams, Marinette." There was something about the way he pronounced her name that struck her... But before she could respond, he closed the door, leaving her alone.

She leaned against the door and sighed.

"Good night, Adrien..." She said it softly, convinced that he couldn't hear her.

--

Adrien smiled on the other side of the door. Then he silently turned around and prepared the couch for sleeping, happy that they both took a shower before the Chinese lesson. Well, he was happy for a lot of things that day. He turned off all lights and lay on the couch, staring upwards with his unadjusted eyes, bathing in the darkness with eyes wide open.

He was sure he wouldn't get much sleep that night. No... that's not right. Adrien was convinced that his whole life was spent asleep and that he was dreaming right now. He had to be. Did she really laugh at my pun? No one does that. He smiled, looking towards the closed bedroom door. 

--

Marinette squeezed one of the large cushions close to her chest. I could have slept with Adrien! I mean, in one bed. Just slept. But... Ugh!!! Life! Why!? Why do you torment me so.  She took a deep breath. There would be little sleep tonight. She rolled on her back, looking in the wide black above her, thinking of the day.

Why is he so sweet? So gentle?  So kind... to me?

----------------- 

Marinette opened her eyes wide. I forgot to feed Tikki. 

She jumped off the bed, tripping over the sheets she threw on the ground. Shhh!You are going to wake up Adrien...

She sneaked around her bed, trying to stay as silent as possible. Then she opened her purse and gave the frowning Tikki a two days old melted chocolate snack. Marinette shook her head and whispered. "There is no use complaining, we are running pretty dry on sweets, Tikki. Sorry."