Chapter 1

Diana Bennett POV - 1 week ago

She needs you, Diana. Bonnie needs you. You have to get to Mystic Falls. And leave that monster behind. Grams astral spirit pleaded with me.

"Grams? What do you mean? What's going on with Bonnie?" I whispered. "And why are you in the mirror?" I asked, confused.

This wasn't the first time Sheila Bennett had visited me using astral projection, but it was the first time she appeared as my reflection. And the first time she'd ever asked me to come to Mystic Falls. If the rest of the Bennett family had it their way, Bonnie and I would never even know each other, as if it were somehow our fault our mother Abby had been unfaithful to Bonnie's dad.

Bonnie and I may not have had a traditional sisterly relationship, but to say we weren't close would be a lie. Grams made sure our witchy heritage kept us in contact as often as we wanted. And up until two years ago, it had been a minimum of three times a day. Sometimes it was through messages in our food, or our journals we had linked when we were 9 and 10, and sometimes it was just regular text conversations or hushed phone calls.

Two years ago, my bond with Bonnie was disrupted. I found myself in New Orleans, trapped by a handsome devil with a lack of patience and severe temper by the name Marcel Gerard. I had discovered some new witch tricks in a magical town where magic had been outlawed. "Oh little witch," Marcel's voice echoed from the other side of the closed bathroom door.

There's no time, Diana. I can't protect her anymore, the other spirits will no longer allow it.

"J-just a minute," I called to Marcel. "What are you talking about Grams? Did you leave Mystic Falls?" I whispered back to the mirror.

She rolled her eyes and huffed and I chuckled at her sassiness. But then my heart dropped. The spirits wouldn't allow it anymore, she'd said.

"Wait, grams...are...are you..." I swallowed hard, unable to say the word.

There is no time for tears. You need to get to Bonnie, now! For her protection and for yours.

Tears swelled in my eyes, but I took a deep breath and blinked them away. I had to get out of here, but how? I looked around at the bathroom. It looked like eighteenth century France threw up in it. Think, Di, think, I willed myself.

Marcel would never let me leave alive. I was too powerful and he was too paranoid, now that he had challenged the Mikaelsson family.

That was it! I'd have to play possum. But first, I'd have to get that little traitor witch off my trail. Otherwise, the child would alert Marcel before I could ever leave this city.

It was time for some good ol' fashion acting. I nodded to Grams's apparition and she gave a small sad smile before disappearing. I fell against the sink, dramatically knocking over everything I could. I groaned loudly, knowing Marcel would break down the door any second.

"Hey! Open the door, what's going on in there?" Marcel roared, pounding on the door. "Diana! I said open the door!"

I cried out again, whispering a quick spell to make blood run from my nose, ears and eyes. "Marcel," I wailed, coughing up blood, "s-something's not right..." I purposely let my voice trail off.

Just as he burst through the door, my eyes rolled to the back of my head and I 'fainted' into his arms.

"Diana! Diana, what's happening? Who's doing this to you?" He demanded, frantically. He lifted me into his arms and warped us through the compound at vamp-speed until we got to a room. I knew he'd take me to the young witch. "P-please," I begged, blood seeping out with every syllable, "tell Davina I haven't done anything...m-make her stop," I cried.

He looked from me to the door, deliberating. His impatience made the decision for him. He kicked the door from its hinges, and the young witch on the other side screamed in response. "M-Marcel? What are you doing?" She asked, confused but wary. He looked around the room, and she quickly stood in front of something on her vanity.

She could feel when witches used magic, but so could I. I knew she'd been experimenting behind Marcel's back. A perfect plan.

"What's this, Davina?" He demanded. "You've been practicing?" His anger ebbed from him in powerful waves.

"Marcel, I don't know what you think is going on, but—"

"Save it! Reverse whatever spell you've done to her," he lifted me towards her. "Now!"

"What are you talking about? What spell?"

That was my cue. "Please...Davina...I don't have...m-much time," I wheezed. "I don't...want to...die," I added, forcing tears out.  The spell had almost run its course. Soon, my heart would stop and I would take my last breath - for six days.

"I didn't do this spell, Marcel. I swear...I just did a simple tracking spell on her...it wasn't supposed to be like this," the girl said shakily. "I-I  can undo it! Put her on the bed. Now!" She screamed, rushing around her room, grabbing candles and herbs and making quick work of setting it all up.

She whispered a chant, removing her tracking spell. I felt the magic she'd attached to me melt away like wax. When it was completely gone, my heart stopped beating. The last thing I heard was Davina's hysterical cries. Poor girl, she thought she was a murderer now, but I couldn't say she didn't earn it. She had gotten many witches - from her own coven - murdered with her tattling.

After this, I would be free of the young witch - and Marcel - forever. When I woke, I would leave for Mystic Falls and find my sister and no one would ever keep us apart again.