Chapter 14

Note: I'm reuploading all full chapters of this book! My site is temporarily down, but I don't want you to have to wait to read.

🔮Vote and comment 🔮

-

If you like this story, check out my other TVD fanfic Hitch'd. I just wanna say thanks for reading! Please vote and comment and as always, enjoy ❤️

-

Diana P.O.V

"Diana? Diana! What's wrong? What's happening?" Damon's frantic voice sounded muffled to my ears. I could hardly make out his words over the shrill screams reverberating through my head.

I clasped my hands over my ears in an attempt to cut off the excruciating echo piercing through my eardrums, but the ringing only grew louder. It sounded like static or...interference. Another form of magic was clashing with my own, trying to break through the cloaking invocation I'd done over myself and Bonnie when I first arrived. Only one person would bother to do so: Marcel Gerard. There wasn't a witch in existence that could puncture through my spell all the way from New Orleans. He had to be close, maybe even already in Mystic Falls.

If that was the case, we weren't safe anymore. Not even the Mikaelson mansion could keep Marcel from getting to us. Bonnie wasn't safe here.

"Praeomunio," I breathed out, refortifying the cloak. I repeated the invocation over and over until my voice grew stronger and the piercing sound finally ended. "Shit!" I yelled, slamming my fists against the table as tears dripped down my face.

Damon pulled me back against his chest, wrapping his arms around me as I leaned into him, trying to catch my breath. "It's Marcel, he's coming. H-he knows where I am," I wailed. "Bonnie - I have to protect her...I can't let him find her," I choked out.

"Shh, we'll figure it out. He won't get to either of you," he soothed, brushing his hands down my arms. "We can get to a safe house, one that's cloaked--"

"You don't understand, Damon," I turned to face him, shaking my head. "Whoever is working for him, they have a latch on my magic. He'll hunt me down to the ends of the earth, and when he finds me, I can't be anywhere near Bonnie. It's the only hope we have to stop the Harrowing."

"Listen to me," he cupped my face gently with his hands, wiping the trail of tears away with his thumbs, "I will protect you from Marcel."

"You'll just get yourself killed," I closed my eyes against a shiver at the thought of it.

"Oh ye of little faith. I'm pretty sure I can take him," he smirked.

"Damon, he's almost thirty years older than you," I scoffed, pulling his hands from my face.

"That's like three vamp years," he shrugged. "Besides, I've actually fought an Original and won. Meanwhile, he has the entire family against him now that he's gone after Klaus's precious Elena."

"She used to be your 'precious Elena,'" I retorted, ruefully.

"Are we really on this again?" he asked, rolling his eyes.

I sighed, shaking my head. "No, no. We have much bigger problems to solve. What kind of safe house do we have access to that no one could break into? Not even you."

"I don't think anything like that actually exists," he said, tilting his head to the side. "But clearly you know something I don't."

"It's more of a theory really," I stepped back toward the shelves of grimoires. "During my time in New Orleans, I rubbed elbows with a witch on the run from her psychotic coven. She said if they ever caught her, they would send her to a prison world," I said, pulling down three more and dropping them on the table. "Somehow they were connected to the Bennett witches of olde and my ancestors helped them create these other worlds - or so the story goes," I flipped through one of the books. "If it's more than just a myth, all I need to make one is an old iron device made of gears, a few drops of my blood and a spell to send Bonnie there."

"Just one little kink in that plan," Damon said, pulling my attention from the books. I looked up at him with a lifted brow. "My brother. There's no way he's letting you take his little witchy soulmate away from him."

I shifted from one foot to the other as I contemplated his words. He was right. Stefan's bond with Bonnie was much too strong to sever. I could incapacitate him, but he would never stop trying to get to her, and if he ever found a way to do so, Marcel would be right behind him. Unless... "Then we send him with her," I nodded, going back to the book.

Damon stayed quiet for a moment before pulling one of the other two books in front of him and flipping through it. "That would make it easier for me to focus on keeping you safe," he said quietly.

"Only if that witch wasn't batshit crazy and this turns out to be a real thing," I murmured.

"The witch - did she say she was from the Gemini coven?" he asked, leaning closer to the book open in front of him.

"Yes, actually," I rounded the table to his side. "What did you find?"

"Ever heard of a thing called an 'ascendant?' Looks an awful lot like your little gear device if you ask me," he said, pointing to an old drawing of a spheric instrument made almost entirely out of various shaped gears.

"Holy shit," I whispered. "That's it...it's real," I shook my head in disbelief.

"And I just so happen to know where one is," he crossed his arms with a smug grin. "An old enemy-turned-drinking bud of mine has a whole collection of ancient little goodies. I've seen one of those in his arsenal. I can have it here within the hour."

"Really?" I asked, biting my bottom lip. He nodded his head and winked. "I could so kiss you right now."

"Promises, promises," he said, leaning his face towards mine as he eyed my lips.

I pressed my fingertips to his forehead and lightly pushed him away, rolling my eyes with a small grin. "Make the call first. We'll see about that kiss later."

-

As promised, AJ Saltzman showed up - ascendant in tow - in twenty-eight minutes with a sharp warning about creating an entirely new "prison" world, rather than porting Bonnie and Stefan into an already fleshed out one full of dangerous freaks of nature. "These creatures, they aren't like anything you've ever seen before. They are beings of darkness, evil. Irredeemable and sociopathic. The last thing you wanna do is send Stefan and your sister locked into a world with something like that."

Damon and I made our promises about following the spell to the letter and AJ reluctantly left the ascendant in our hands. I'd found the spell, I had the ascendant and all that was left to do was give a few drops of blood and prep for the spell.

It seemed simple enough, which was fascinating. The glamour spell to temporarily turn a witch into a likeness of myself was much more complicated, despite the fact that I would indeed be creating and entire new world. Fascinating. I needed more sources of magic to draw extra power from, and since this spell was usually done by at least a half-dozen other full-blooded witches, I knew Damon would not be enough.

"So, how are we gonna do this?" Damon asked, his arms folded as he pouted over the fact that he couldn't be the only source of magic I drew from.

"Damon, we're in a house filled with magic. Almost everything in this room here is spelled with one form of magic or another," I shook my head, going over the spell a few more times in my mind. "Here, take this," I instructed, handing him a piece of cloth, "and get me all the objects on that back row of shelves. Be careful with them and make sure you don't touch any of them."

"Okay...but why?" he asked, taking the cloth and approaching the Mikaelson's wall of ancient artifacts like they'd been placed on top of a pressurized bomb.

"Never heard of dark objects?" I asked, lifting an eyebrow. "Unless you wanna be cursed for the rest of your unnatural life, just don't touch them. Use the cloth."

After he laid out the arsenal of dark objects, I held my hands over each of them briefly to assess the amounts of magic in each one. When I was sure we had enough to work with, I motioned for Damon to stand beside me and pressed one hand to his chest while the other hovered over the table of artifacts. I started the incantation, drawing magic from each source simultaneously as needed. Once I drew enough, I gripped the ascendant, slicing a line through the flesh of my palm and completed the first part of our plan. Now, it was time to send Bonnie and Stefan away.

I took a deep steadying breath as I thought about how angry she would be at me. But if we both survived this, I'd do whatever I could to make things right. She wouldn't understand it, but this was more than just about protecting my little sister. This was about stopping the impending mass genocide of every supernatural being in existence.

"It's time," I said, looking up at Damon.

He nodded. "I wonder how long he'll hold this one against me," he snorted, starting for the door out of the library just as I put out the sage smudge.

Bonnie and Stefan's voices wafted through from the hall when Damon opened the door and stepped out. "You're really not concerned for her...at all?" Bonnie sounded suspicious as she asked.

"I know it makes you upset - and that bothers me. So...yeah, technically," Stefan answered matter-of-factly. He went silent for a moment before speaking again. "Do you want me to pretend like I care?" he asked.

"No, I just...I can't believe how cold you're being to her now. Just yesterday you were all depressed and brooding over her feelings for Damon. I don't understand how things could change that fast," Bonnie flitted through her words.

Damon and I exchanged glances as he leaned against the door, watching the couple struggle to understand the bond between them. Bonnie stood with her hands pressed to Stefan's chest, his hands tightly gripping her waist. I could feel her anxiety swirling through the hallway.

"They didn't change," Damon announced as Bonnie and Stefan's eyes snapped to him. "They were...reset," he added as I slipped into the hall around him, headed straight for Bonnie.

"We need to talk," I said, pulling Stefan's hands away from Bonnie, "now." I gripped her hand in mine and pulled her down the hall with me, muttering a cloaking spell to keep Stefan from interfering in case Damon couldn't incapacitate him in time. "You can stop questioning your boyfriend's feelings. You're mated. And we have bigger problems now."

"What? Mated? Di, have you been reading those werewolf fantasies again?" Bonnie erupted in laughter, pressing her hand to her chest before her giggles stopped and her eyes grew wide with confusion and fear. "Diana, you can't be serious," she scoffed, clenching her jaw as she studied my expression. "Vampires don't mate. Neither do witches--"

"They do, actually," I cut in. "It's a bond called an anam cara. Stefan's soul is bound to yours, and while I'd love to spend hours going over the implications that has for you and your life, we really do have more important matters," I said, swallowing hard as I looked down. Regaining my resolve, I took a deep breath and lifted my eyes back to hers. "Marcel is using another witch to hunt me down and it won't be long before he finds me. Right now, he doesn't know he has to have both of us for the ritual, and we need to make sure you're somewhere he can't get to you when he finally realizes that."

"Di, what are talking about?" Bonnie asked, her voice growing frantic. "We can protect you, I can do a cloaking spell--"

I shook my head, "That's a temporary solution, Bonnie." I sighed. "Besides, what do you think I've been doing this whole time," I muttered, closing my eyes against the tears that started to draw in hers. "It won't be for long, I just need time to come up with a better plan and I can't do that knowing my sister could be in danger."

"What? No, I'm--" she started.

"I'm sending you away with Stefan for a few weeks," I cut in again, speaking quickly before she could figure out what was about to happen. "When it's safe, I'll bring you both back to Mystic Falls," I pulled her into a tight hug. "You're leaving tonight."

"Diana!" Bonnie jerked away from me like she'd been burned by my words. "I'm not going anywhere!"

I bit back tears that swelled in my eyes and nodded. "You'll thank me later," I whispered, raising my hands to her as I prepared to temporarily take every memory she ever had of me away. Just knowing her friends would be here, facing danger without her would be enough to set her off. If she knew her last remaining blood relative was doing the same, she would never stop until she made it back, and knowing Bonnie's tenacity, it would hardly be a few days before she broke through the prison world. "Dedisco vinculum," I chanted. "I'll bring you back, no matter what. I love you, Bonnie," I promised, just before she fell unconscious. "Obice confractus," I pulled the cloaking wall away just as Damon stepped in, Stefan in tow.

"You ready?" he asked, dropping Stefan to the ground beside Bonnie.

I nodded, blinking back tears. "Whatever happens--"

"No. No, we're not doing the impending death speech," Damon shook his head fervently.

"I need you to listen to me," I stepped up to him, pulling his hands in mine. "I took Bonnie's memories, just the ones of me. I need to know that you'll give her the spell to remember if...if I'm not there to do it myself."

"I already told you, no one's laying a hand on you," he grumbled.

"Just...humor me, then," I said, smiling as a stray tear spilled over.

He closed his eyes and huffed before gazing into mine again. "Fine. In this alternate future that will definitely not happen, I swear to give Bonnie a spell from you, even though in reality you'll be there to say the spell yourself because there's no way in hell I'm ever losing you when it took me almost two hundred years to find you."

"Thank you," I said quietly, leaning up on my toes to press a quick kiss to his lips. "Now, I just have to send them there." He nodded, pulling the ascendant from his pocket and placing it in my hands. I started the final part of the incantation as Damon linked Stefan and Bonnie's hands together and I placed the ascendant in Bonnie's free hand just as I completed the spell. Wind whipped through the mansion, knocking over various things on the counters of the kitchen, and in a few seconds, Bonnie and Stefan were gone. 

-

🔮Vote and comment 🔮