Chapter 20

Note: I'm reuploading all full chapters of this book! My site is temporarily down, but I don't want you to have to wait to read.

🔮Vote and comment 🔮

-

Diana POV - 2 hours after being taken

Something tugged at my magic, pulling me from my lulled state. I blinked and jerked up, surprised to see myself in a bundle of plush blankets.

"We're sealed in," Stefan's voice drifted from beside me. I looked around the room until my gaze landed on him. "How do you feel? That bitch dosed you with some kind of spell to keep you out," he grumbled.

"Do you know where we are?" I asked, slipping from the bed. I stepped up to the only door in the room and pressed my hands to it. Magic buzzed under my palms.

"From what I can hear and smell, I'd say close to a lake. Other than that, I'm not sure. They were pretty confident you'd be out for at least a day, maybe we can use that to our advantage," he shrugged, standing to his feet as I turned back to him.

I nodded, running through various scenarios in my head. "Are we alone here? Can you hear anything outside the door?"

"Only when someone touches the door knob or walks close by. My senses are muffled, so I can't make out any conversations or anything. No one's been at the door in about two hours," he shook his head. "Diana, we have to get out of here. Damon and Klaus don't know where we are and before she left, the Dyre Witch mentioned the ritual. The way she talked about it, she's planning on completing it soon. We don't have a lot of time."

"Right, we have to come up with a plan. They think I'm still unconscious and I'm pretty sure they don't know my magic is still tethered to Rebekah. It's probably why whatever spell they tried didn't last that long," I said, crossing my arms over my chest. "Any ideas?"

Stefan deliberated silently for a moment. "Well, what do we know about the Harrowing? You didn't exactly fill me and Bonnie in before you sent us off to socio-ville," he snorted with a soft smile.

"I know, and about that, I really am sorry. I was trying to protect you both--"

"It's okay, Diana. I know that and I'm sure once Bonnie gets her memories back, she'll understand, too," he waved his hand around. "So, the Harrowing. What exactly is it? What does the Dyre Witch need for it? And how much of that does she have?"

"Right, well according to every grimoire I've read, the Harrowing is a ritual to call forth a being of immense power to reset the balance of nature and reclaim the veiled souls of the damned," I explained.

"Wait, veiled souls?" he wrinkled his eyebrows, confused.

"Ones that stay on earth long after their designated death date. Like vampires, witches who've extended their lives with magic, any supernatural with a lifespan longer than a regular human. Ergo, almost all of Mystic Falls," I sighed.

"Who or what is this creature? And how exactly are they supposed to reset the balance of nature? What does that even mean?" he asked.

"The beast of the Harrowing is known as Mephistopheles, a form of pure power without a figure or gender created by one of the oldest in my and Bonnie's bloodline, Ayana. She created Mephistopheles as a counter-balance for the Mikaelson's when Esther found out about the white oak trees and started burning them down, but when the creature turned on her, other witches like Dahlia who extended their lifetimes by thousands of years, and supernatural beings who hadn't done any harm, she resurrected our even older ancestor, Qetsiyah, temporarily to bind it in a prison of fire and sealed it with Qetsiyah's blood," I finished explaining.

"That's why they need Bennett blood to raise it," he nodded in understanding. "So what happens now?

"They still don't know they need Bonnie - but the fact that they need two Bennett witches for the ritual is the only piece of information they seem to be missing. The Bennett line kept that much hidden, but it won't be long before they figure it out. They require the sacrifice of a full coven, two werewolves and two vampires, which is probably why they took you, too," I said with a sigh.

"How do we stop it? We can't exactly kill the Dyre bitch, death doesn't seem to stick when it comes to her," Stefan grumbled, pacing the room.

"We can't kill her..." I repeated his words, sifting through the thoughts flitting around in my mind. "But we can stop the ritual."

Stefan stopped pacing, pursing his eyebrows as he waited for me to explain. "I'm not following here," he shifted on his feet.

"The Dyre Witch has almost everything needed to raise this thing. She has a coven - otherwise, she wouldn't have been able to fight and beat us. She has at least one vampire - you - and I doubt she'd be hard pressed to find a second one. And werewolves wouldn't be much more of a challenge with as much power as she's channeling, either. There's only one thing we can remove from the equation at this point," I sighed, looking to the ground. "Me."

"What? Diana, no, that's insane. I'm not gonna let you kill yourself over this," he crossed his arms defiantly.

"Then don't. Turn me." I slowly rose my eyes back to his. "They need the blood of two Bennett witches. Even if they somehow get Bonnie, turning me into a vampire nullifies any hope they'd have of finishing the ritual. Think about it, none of our allies know where we are. We don't know how much time we even have left. What do you think would hurt Bonnie more? Having an immortal sister? Or losing her sister and her boyfriend to some crazed suicidal coven and then running from the monster they raise to hunt her and every other supernatural creature for the rest of her life?"

"Diana, I can't," he shook his head, rubbing a hand over his face. "Even if I agreed, you've got the wrong vampire. Maybe you haven't seen my track record, but I'm a ripper when I feed from humans. I could kill you."

"You didn't kill Bonnie the entire time you were in the prison world. You didn't even kill Kai," I said, scoffing as I thought about that fact.

"Actually, I did kill him, it just didn't stick because apparently you can't die in a prison world," he bit out. "There has to be another way. I can't take the last part of her family away from her."

"I'll still be her sister, even as a vampire, Stefan," I shook my head, not understanding why he was still hesitant. "And the only thing that could ever take me away from Bonnie is the Harrowing--"

"Shh, someone's coming," he whispered, holding a hand up as he turned his ear to the door. "Several someones."

"Stefan," I whispered back, stepping in front of him. "Stefan, we're out of time and we're out of choices," I hissed, jerking his arm until he turned back to face me. "I don't want to sire you to do this, but I will if you leave me no other option."

His eyes widened in disbelief as he struggled to come to terms with my words and listen for whatever was behind the door at the same time.

"Think about Bonnie," I said softly, already rustling his nerves with my magic. "She's in danger and the only two people she can really count on to protect her are in this room with no way out. What if the next time they open that door, they have Bonnie with them, ready to slit her throat and drain her dry right in front of you?"

Stefan snarled and his eyes darkened as black veins rippled beneath the skin around his eyes before they slowly returned to normal. "Diana," he called desperately, gripping the hair at the sides of his head.

"I know, Stefan. I know, and I'm telling you we have no other choice. Look," I pulled his hand in mine and gave a gentle squeeze, "we make sacrifices for the ones we love, right? How many sacrifices has Bonnie made for you? Even before she found out about your bond? If anyone would understand this, it's Bonnie."

Stefan looked down at me with a pained expression, gloom and fear clear in his eyes. He pressed his lips into a thin line and closed his eyes, nodding reluctantly. "I hate this," he bit out, frustrated. He bit into the skin of his wrists and held it up to my mouth.

"So do I," I said quietly, placing my lips against the wound he'd ripped open and drank, trying to focus my mind on anything else. I shook away the nausea that bubbled up as the blood slid down my throat and wiped my mouth. "Anything sharp in here?" I asked, glancing around the room. It was void of any furniture besides the bed, but the headboard was made of wood. I nodded my head towards it and Stefan snapped one of the middle slats off forming a makeshift stake. "Do me a favor? Make it quick," I pleaded, closing my eyes.

I couldn't believe I would be saying goodbye to my magic. Forever. Tears streamed down my face before the piece of wood ever struck me, and when it did, the pain of it piercing my flesh was nothing compared to the gruesome wave of sickness that flooded through me as my magic bled out. My tether to Rebekah snapped, ripping the magic I was channeling through her from my heart like an arrow being yanked out improperly. The blood in my veins burned as every drop that made me a witch evaporated, leaving me hollow and barren of magic. The cycle of vampiric blood trickling slowly in and out of each chamber was invasive, like a shadow of something tainted violating the light within me until my heart stopped altogether and that same light died. As much as I tried to convince myself that I would recover from this, I knew I would never be the same.

-

Bonnie POV - 2 hours after Diana and Stefan were taken

"H-how did it go?" I asked as the trio of supernaturals all vying for my sister's affections streamed back into the Mikaelson mansion. I felt an odd sensation, wanting for their mission to have gone perfectly and horridly wrong all at the same time. I hated Kai's coven for taking Diana, and I was sure Kai didn't turn out the way he did all on his own, but there was something barbaric about the whole twin-merge thing. Especially when his twin was almost twice his age with less than half his magic.

"There were twists, there were turns, and everything basically went wrong," Damon said with a sarcastic bright smile before narrowing his eyes at Kai who stepped in behind him.

"Oh, but he's leaving out the best part," Kai crooned, happier than he should've been about the whole ordeal, had it really gone as awfully as Damon claimed. "You're looking at the new leader of the Gemini coven," he smirked, a devious glint shining in his eyes. "And now, for the fun part," he wriggled his eyebrows playfully, turning to Elijah.

"I'm not ruining another suit for your games, Malachi," Elijah hissed.

"What's the fun part?" I asked, pursing my eyebrows at the three. Damon rolled his eyes as Elijah sighed, but Kai stood gleaming in joy. Klaus stormed through the door, glaring at all three of them, muttering something under his breath.

"Here's an idea," Damon smirked, his attitude changing swiftly. "Why don't we let Mr. Vampy-wolf do the honors."

"Can someone please explain to me what's going on?" I hissed, crossing my arms over my chest.

The four traded glances before everyone's attention landed back on Kai. "Oh, now you guys want me to explain everything?" he scoffed. "Well, I found twin sissy, but then things got complicated. Damon almost killed her--"

"Now, you're just being dramatic," Damon snorted.

"Anyway, long story short, instead of merging with Jo, another one of my siblings--"

"The one brother he didn't murder," Damon interjected.

"Luke, offered himself up for the merge in Jo's place because sibling bonding or something like that," Kai said with disgust, "lame," he snorted. "I was seriously prepared for the whole thing to go wrong--"

"But it didn't, the non-twin merge thing worked, he's the leader now blah blah blah, end of story," Damon rushed through.

"Okay, so what now?" I asked, still not understanding why we were just standing here and not rushing off to rescue my sister.

"Now, we pull straws to see who gets to kill me," Kai snarked.

"We never agreed to this," Klaus hissed. "You conniving little twit, you played us."

"I did no such thing. I just...used lemons to make lemonade," he snorted. "If you won't do it, I'm sure Bonster would love nothing more than to do it herself. What do you say, witchy? Kill me, save your sister?"

Before anyone could interrupt, my hand lifted with a mind of its own and I uttered an incantation to snap his neck. I blinked when Elijah and Damon jumped to catch Kai, yelling at me for doing exactly what he'd just asked me to do.

"What the hell, Bonnie!" Damon yelled.

"You have no idea what you've just done, little witch," Klaus grumbled.

Elijah only narrowed his eyes at me, but his face softened quickly after. He shook his head and sighed, vamping Kai's lifeless body to the couch in the living room.

"What's wrong? Why are you acting like I just ruined any chance we had at getting my sister and Stefan back?" I asked, trying to hide the fear from my voice.

"We'll get them back. It's what happens afterwards that I'm worried about," Damon sighed, rubbing a hand over his face.

"What are you talking about?" I demanded.

"Your sister has quite the collection bonded admirers," Klaus answered cryptically. "Elijah and Damon have somewhat of an understanding for respecting Diana's wishes."

"One that Malachi has no intentions of obeying," Elijah added, reappearing suddenly.

"He played us, acted like he was fatally injured so one of us would heal him," Damon snarled, looking at Elijah.

"He was the only lead we had to find Diana," Elijah protested.

"How could you not tell he was lying?" Damon scoffed.

"Okay, so he acted hurt and you healed him. I'm not understanding the issue, here," I shook my head and waited for them to continue their explanation.

"Vampire blood - original vampire blood - healed him and then you snapped his neck. Put them together and what do you get?" Damon quipped.

"So Kai's a vampire now?" I asked, even more confused by their behavior. "I mean, is that really a big deal? So he has fangs now, at least he can't steal magic anymore. If he tries anything, I'm sure a few aneurysms can put him down," I shrugged.

"If only it were that simple, little witch. You see, our annoying little friend there won't just be a vampire after transition," Klaus said with a sharp sigh.

"Ever heard of a heretic?" Damon asked with a sarcastic grin.

"Like people who went against the catholic church centuries ago?" I asked.

"Not exactly," Damon snorted. "Apparently, the Gemini coven was ripe with them. Little magical parasites turned vampires, but with a twist."

"Their vampirism acts as a never-ending source of magic," Klaus explained, agitation clear on his face. "Once he turns, he'll be a--"

"Vampire-witch," I breathed. "Th-that's impossible," I whispered, shaking my head.

"Oh and it gets worse," Damon grouched. "You know his little magic eating trick? Well he can still do that, he just doesn't need to anymore."

Kai stirred, groaning loudly from the sitting room couch. Klaus rolled his eyes and vamped to the living room. "Great," Damon hissed. "Where do you keep the blood bags?" he asked Elijah.

"Bottom freezer of the fridge. He only gets the B-negative," Elijah grumbled, waltzing to the sitting room. I followed behind him as Damon darted past us thru the hall leading to the kitchen before rejoining us seconds later with three bags of B-negative blood. Kai sat up, barely catching the blood before ripping one open. Klaus leaned against the wall next to the window, glaring down at the vamp-siphoner as Kai gulped down two bags in quick succession.

"Quick transition," Damon snarled.

"It's because witches make for better vampires," Kai said with a smirk. "Now, let me just check in on our little witch and we can move forward with the plan." Kai fluttered his eyes shut, but before he could focus, Rebekah darted into the room.

I stood to my feet, wringing my hands with panic as I took in her hysteric expression.

"It's Diana!" she cried. "Her tether to me just broke...I think she's..." she couldn't force the words from her lips as a sob escaped her.

"What? No!" I yelled, turning to Kai.

He gave me a knowing look before closing his eyes. He stayed silent for what felt like too long a time, but when he blinked his eyes back open, his entire being radiated something I'd never seen in him. Even for Kai, he seemed unhinged. "No," he said quietly, shaking his head like he was trying to shake a vision from his mind. "No! No! No!" he yelled chaotically, sending anything not bolted to the floor flying in destruction around the room. Elijah and Klaus grabbed him in an attempt to calm him down.

"Kai, what did you see? What happened to Diana?" Damon demanded, standing in front of him.

"Your brother killed her!" he screamed, breaking free from the Mikaelson brothers. He gripped Damon's neck, vamping him against the far wall in a split second. "I'm gonna kill him," he bit out darkly.

"No, no, Kai he wouldn't do that," Damon said quietly, in disbelief. "He wouldn't do that because he knows she means everything to me," Damon shook his head, unwilling to consider Kai's words.

Diana couldn't be dead. I would know. I would feel it. She was my sister, for God's sake! She couldn't be dead. Stefan would never take her away from me. 

"Wait! Just wait," I yelled through the chaos. "Stefan would never do something like that, and even if he was possessed or something and tried, Diana could easily incapacitate him," I shook my head, refusing to let the thought of my sister being dead even enter the forefront of my mind as I stepped over to Damon and Kai. "Kai, what exactly did you see?" I asked gently, placing my hand over his shoulder.

He slowly released his grip from Damon and ran his hands violently through his hair. "I saw...she was lying on the floor in his arms...covered in blood...the stake in her stomach - his hands were holding it." Kai let out an enraged groan, gripping the sides of his head. "She's not breathing...she has no heartbeat," he whispered, dropping his hands to his sides before standing up straight. He closed his eyes, his eyebrows furrowed resolutely.

"Kai? What are you doing?" I asked cautiously.

"I'm going to get her, maybe it's not too late. Maybe I can save her," he said desperately.

Damon reached out and gripped Kai's collar and Elijah grasped his arm. "Not without us," Damon bit out. In a blink, Kai, Damon and Elijah disappeared from the room.

I stared at the spot the trio had just been in, unable to move from my spot. Only one thought played through my mind. She can't be dead.

-

🔮Vote and comment 🔮