Chapter 4

🔮 Vote and comment 🔮

-

Bonnie Bennett POV

Diana cleared the smoke and burnt smell from the kitchen with a wind spell I'd never heard of before - it didn't sound anything like the spells Grams taught me - and stood shyly by the threshold to the living room as everyone else came in and seated themselves or leaned against a wall.

I stood next to her, facing a divided group of friends and frenemies, wondering how to put everything they needed to know in the right words. I glanced at Diana, shocked to see her nervously fidgeting with her fingers. Diana Bennett was many things, but nervous was not one of them. And yet, there she stood, nipping at her bottom lip, studying the toe-tips of her black combat boots.

Feeling inquisitive eyes on me, I cleared my throat and moved to the center of the room.

"So..." I started, "I know things have been kinda...tense-"

Damon snorted, rolling his eyes. He sat right in front of me at the left end of the couch beside Elena and Stefan.

I glared at him and continued, "and I know we're all in this weird...place, in the aftermath of all the betrayals and lies that have passed between us. But we have more important things to worry about."

"Wait, Bon," Elena sat forward, "what are saying? I thought once we defeated Silas, we were safe again."

I took a deep breath. "There is something else coming. Something more dangerous than anything we've ever faced." I gulped.

"What could be worse than Silas?" Caroline piped up, too antsy to keep sitting on the arm of the chair Matt had taken.

The room went silent. "The Harrowing," both Diana and Klaus chimed in simultaneously.

"What's the harrowing?" Rebekah blurted in her heavy English accent. "Nik, how long have you known about this?"

"Yes, brother, and why was I not informed?" Elijah demanded with a quirked eyebrow.

"I'm more curious with what the other little witch has to do with it," Kol retorted, pointing to Diana.

"For once, I agree with Baby Klaus," Damon added with a quick glance at Diana before turning his studious gaze to me.

"That's not important," I said too quickly. Everyone's attention shifted back to me, now suspicious. I mentally kicked myself. "What is important is—"

"Just tell us who the bloody witch is already," Rebekah said, exasperated.

"Diana," Diana spoke up, quiet at first, as she stepped fully into the room. "My name is Diana Bennett. I'm Bonnie's half-sister. I was brought here by Grams-" she stopped and cleared her throat. "Sheila," she corrected, "to protect Bonnie and to warn this town."

The room fell silent once again. Eyes twitched, looks we're exchanged, and the room studied the physical similarities between me and my sister.

"I gotta admit, Bon-Bon," Damon broke the silence, "I did not see that one coming," he shook his head with a slight chuckle.

"When did you find out you had a sister?" Elena asked, as she and Carolina carefully crossed the room towards me.

"It must've been a total shock," Caroline added, with a pitying look.

"We've known our whole lives," Diana snorted. "In fact, I know a lot of you here, we went to kindergarten together. You've just been influenced to forget," Di explained. "But you're all focusing on the wrong thing. I was sent here with a warning. The harrowing is coming, and if we don't prepare, the town of Mystic Falls will cease to exist and we will all be dead."

"You mean you all will be dead," Rebekah corrected. "My brothers and I —"

"Can't be killed?" Diana finished with a sarcastic question. "Let me put it to you like this, think of the harrowing as a ritual to raise a monster made entirely of white oak, from teeth to claws." The original family traded glances. "It's not an actual white oak monster, but it has the power to end you like one."

"Who is raising this creature?" Elijah stepped forward.

"And how the bloody hell do you know so much about it?" Rebekah asked.

"My thoughts exactly, little witch," Klaus added. "Last I saw you, you were in New Orleans. So which of my enemies is it? And why were they so keen on telling you their plan?" He stepped toward Diana.

The room was on edge. Everyone was either standing at this point or leaning halfway off their seats.

"An enemy you didn't know you had, I can promise you that," Diana said quietly. She swallowed hard before speaking again. "Your beloved son, Marcel Gerard," she finally answered.

Elijah and Klaus trades looks.

"You're lying," Rebekah spat. "Marcel would never do something like that."

"How do we know we can trust you?" Elijah asked.

"It might be hard for you to grasp this, Rebekah," I stepped between my sister and the rest of the room demanding answers from her, "but your Marcel wants you dead. My sister has no reason to lie and if you don't trust us, leave Mystic Falls. Take your family to New Orleans and ask him yourself. Maybe you'll all kill each other and solve our problems for us." I crossed my arms and glared at the immortal family.

"Klaus, you've seen Marcel. You know something is wrong," Diana spoke, placing a gentle hand on my shoulder. "He's not doing this out of revenge or even hatred."

"Is that so?" Rebekah scoffed. "Then why, pray tell?"

"I don't think he has a choice." Diana furrowed her eyebrows. "When I was...working...for Marcel, I sensed this magic coming from him. It was different from normal day walkers - or even originals...like something was controlling him."

"You think Marcel was possessed?" Rebekah laughed. "Listen, darling, I'm not sure what little nighttime stories your grandmother told you, but vampires can't be possessed."

"Actually, little sister, she's right. You were daggered through my encounters with the sirens. Hideous little things. But very, very powerful."

Diana's eyes widened. She knew something about the sirens. But she didn't want the rest of the group to know, I could sense it.

"So now there are ugly mermaids possessing the vampire Marcel? Very intriguing, really. But I still haven't heard what the other witch has to do with it," Kol, now seated, tapped his index finger on his chin as he watched Diana.

I looked at Diana. We traded nervous glances. "She's the key to the ritual," I answered.

"We both are," Diana added.

-

🔮 Vote and comment 🔮