Chapter 13

Note: I'm reuploading all full chapters of this book! My site is temporarily down, but I don't want you to have to wait to read.

🔮Vote and comment 🔮

-

WARNING: NSFW | 18+ | EXPLICIT SCENE AHEAD

You've been warned.

-
Bonnie P.O.V.

"Can you hear what they're saying...or doing?" I asked Stefan. We stood a few feet from the library Diana and Damon had just gone in.

He stood quietly for a moment, his eyebrows furrowed in concentration before shaking his head. "No, she must've done a spell," he shrugged.

"Or she lit a sage smudge," I scoffed as the scent wafted through the closed door. "She's hiding something from me. Why?" I clenched my hands in fists.

Stefan stepped back into my personal space, slipping his hands around my hips. "Come on, don't get upset. I'm sure she's got a good reason, whatever it might be. Or they could just be having fun," he said, wriggling his eyebrows with a smirk on his face.

"Ew! That's such a 'Damon' thing to say. And please don't ever make that face again," I shook my head and laughed.

"You know, we could be having fun," he said quietly, pulling me closer as he lowered his face to mine. I pressed my hands gently against his chest and leaned away. Just as I opened my mouth to speak, he cut me off. "Don't say it. Don't say we have to wait until Elena's back."

I shrugged with a small smile that didn't reach my eyes. "I'm just saying--"

"What do you want me to do, Bonnie? Elena and I've been over for months now - her decision, by the way. You don't owe her anything and neither do I," he grumbled.

"I just don't want to spring something like this on her," I replied, trying to make him understand. "She's lost so much already--"

"You've lost so much! And all because some stupid spell kept my eyes locked onto the wrong girl. Who's to say she didn't know about it?" he asked aloud, more to himself than to me.

"Stefan, you can't be serious," I scoffed. "Elena would've told me something like this. She's been my best friend my whole life."

Stefan closed his eyes and sighed deeply. "I know you care about her. It's the only reason I'm bothering to help. But the second she gets back, the bandaid is getting ripped off."

"And what if she comes back and you realize you still love her?" the words spilled from my mouth before I could process them.

"Listen, I know you're just gonna worry and there are no words I can tell you that will make you believe me, but Bonnie, now that I've found you, there is nothing that can keep me away from you. Least of all, Elena Gilbert. Since your little mind likes to overanalyze and seek out the worst possible scenario of any situation, you'll just have to wait and see what happens when Klaus gets her back."

"You're really not concerned for her, at all?" I asked, still shocked at how quickly Stefan's feelings changed.

"I know it makes you upset, and that bothers me, so, yeah, technically," he shrugged with a small half-smile. "Do you want me to pretend like I care?" he asked, lifting an eyebrow.

"No, I just...I can't believe how cold you're being to her now. Just yesterday you were all depressed and brooding over her feelings for Damon. I don't understand how things could change that fast," I felt my heart thumping through my chest following my rant. How did all of that slip out? Speaking before talking was a Bennett trait I didn't hold. I hardly even spoke when I needed to, much less blurted out anything that would make me vulnerable.

"They didn't change," Damon's voice poured through the hall. I looked up to see him leaning against the now open door to the private library with Diana slipping out in front of him. "They were...reset."

"We need to talk, now," Diana walked up to me, wrenching Stefan's hands away from my waist and dragged me along behind her down the hall, and further still until we reached the kitchen. "Murum sana," she whispered, and turned to face me. "You can stop questioning your boyfriend's feelings. You're mated. And we have bigger problems now."

"What? Mated? Di, have you been reading those werewolf fantasies again?" I asked, giggling at the absurdity. My laughter died in my throat when she tilted her chin up slightly, her signature for when she was serious about something. "Diana, you can't be serious," I scoffed. "Vampires don't mate. Neither do witches--"

"They do, actually. It's a bond called an anam cara. Stefan's soul is bound to yours, and while I'd love to spend hours going over the implications that has for you and your life, we really do have more important matters," Diana's gaze lowered and she sighed deeply, her shoulders slumping a bit before she continued. "Marcel is using another witch to hunt me down and it won't be long before he finds me. Right now, he doesn't know he has to have both of us for the ritual, and we need to make sure you're somewhere he can't get to you when he finally realizes that."

"Di, what are you talking about?" I asked, my heart dropping. "We can protect you, I can do a cloaking spell--"

"That's a temporary solution, Bonnie. Besides, what do you think I've been doing this whole time," she said, shaking her head. "It won't be for long, I just need time to come up with a better plan and I can't do that knowing my sister could be in danger."

"What? No, I'm--"

"I'm sending you away with Stefan for a few weeks," she rushed through her words, cutting me off. "When it's safe, I'll bring you both back to Mystic Falls," she promised, pulling me into a hug. "You're leaving tonight," she added quickly.

"Diana!" I jerked back from her. "I'm not going anywhere!"

"You'll thank me later," she said, lifting her hands as she whispered a spell I didn't recognize in latin. "I'll bring you back, no matter what. I love you, Bonnie," her words sounded far away as the room around me tilted and spun. I blinked my eyes trying to refocus, but my eyelids were too heavy.