Chapter 7

'A friend took her home...'

Claire's voice rang in his head, remembering the night during the family dinner.

'Who could that be?' he asked himself.

He didn't saw anyone coming over his neighbor's house for him to know that she is seeing someone.

"Damn it!" he cried out and his pet dog stare at him with a whine.

"Sorry buddy," he said to his dog, which made it turn back into sleeping.

He took a deep sigh and contemplated whether he will call Claire to inquire if the store manager already came for work. It took him a second to decide and picked up his phone and dialed. Claire took his call, and before she can say her greetings, he asked.

"Did she came for work already?"

"Ollie, you've been calling me for three straight days already, not to mention that this will be your seventh call today to ask." he heard her say.

"I am just worried, I brought her to the hospital to be treated. What if she didn't follow the instructions and the prescription - "

"Ollie, she is with her friend, she will be taken care of. Okay? I'll call you once she came for work." Claire said to pacify him. "And please, do not call me again," he heard her say before disconnecting.

He sighed once more and stare at the window towards his neighbor's house.

---

"Stupid! Stupid! You are so stupid Beatriz! Why did you kissed him back? You should've pushed him and kick him where the sun don't shine! Arghhh!" her litany. She had been berating herself ever since the kiss happened. It has been two days already, but the memory still lingers, and she cannot forgive herself for it.

"Who's stupid Tía? Hello mama."

"No one Joaquin," Monica answered while accepting her son's kiss.

"How's your day?" she asked the boy.

"It is fine Tía, I like to lend a hand in the garage," the boy answered.

"Go to your room and change, you reek of sweat and oil." Monica pushed her son towards his room, and Joaquin followed obediently, giving his mother a playful grin.

A few seconds passed when Monica spoke.

"You liked it, that's why you responded," came the comment.

"It's not funny, Monica," she said while glaring at her friend and confidante.

"Of course it isn't funny Beatriz, what I said is not a joke." Monica said with a grin.

"Hahaha, funny." she answered with an eye roll, took a slice of pizza and ate it with abandon.

She is with her friend Monica, she ask her to pick her up at the Anderson's house after the dinner. She cringed again when she remembered what had happen.

Flashback...

It took her several seconds to get out of her shock after the kiss ended, and that's when the pain on her ankle registered. It must have shown on her face because Ollie asked immediately.

"Are you okay? What is it?"

"My ankle-" before she can finish her statement, Ollie carried her bridal style out of the room, towards the living room - where everyone are gaping at them, out of the house and into his jeep. Only Alessa had the mind to ask what had happen.