✧ ⋆* ┊ 𝟏𝟏.

WINNIE'S HEART FELT LIKE IT HAD BEEN TIED TO THE GROUND, UNABLE TO BEAT

"Teigs..." Winnie trailed off, tearing up and looking at her best friend.

Teigan knew exactly what Winnie had saw. She knew her secret was out.

"What...? Did you—did you do this? I check it a month ago, and it was normal. Have you...been moving money from my account to yours?"

Winnie was horrified. No, more than that. Appalled beyond belief.

And all Teigan could do was shamefully nod. There was no point in denying it.

"How? Why? I could've helped, if you would've just asked."

"I got greedy. You don't deserve all that money. No one does."

"Teigan, I DONATE it! The money you stole was mine, and I have been saving it up! I give almost 90% of my funds to charities—good people, with good hearts!" Winnie screamed. Her voice broke.

A tear slipped from her eye. Then another. And another after that. They didn't stop.

"Winnie..."

"Don't say anything. We're going to the police station. I'm getting my money back, and you're going to jail. This friendship is over."

Forget pain, Winnie's heart was pretty much broken. As if a car wreck wasn't enough, her best friend had to steal from her. Teigan was smart enough to realize that there was no point in fighting back. No point in lying, or cheating her way through, like she had been doing for what felt like so long.

The drive there was dreadful. Teigan's car smelled like fruit, and somehow, Winnie couldn't smell a thing. Her ears were ringing, her mouth had gone dry, but her vision was clear.

The police station handled it as she expected. Winnie left with the answer she needed, yet despised. Teigan was gone, and she was going to get her money back.

. . .

A couple of weeks had passed, and Winnie had received her money from the bank. She had also gotten a new car (a newer model of the one she previously had), and gotten rid of Teigan's old one. But nothing in the apartment had changed. She had stayed at home almost entirely, crying, not eating much, and not sleeping well at all.

When people said that friend breakups could be worse than romantic ones, they weren't joking.

Winnie had already told her parents, but the media had yet to know anything about it. To them, she was just missing in action—a case they couldn't solve.