𝙗𝙮 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙨𝙞𝙙𝙚

"Shh, it's alright. You're at my house, just don't open your eyes too fast, your head is gonna hurt like Hell." I stirred awake, alarmed at first, but settling down almost instantly at the sound of Matty's voice.

My eyes opened gradually, the light felt as if it hit my brain at first, but I eventually got used to the brightness. I took in my surroundings, finding myself having just woken up in his bed, looking over at the chair I had been sitting in the night I confronted him, watching him as he sat there in his pink dressing gown. A glass of water lay untouched on the bedside table to my right, and I gladly started drinking from it.

"How much do you remember from last night?" He was biting his nails, something I'd told him repeatedly over the years to stop doing, but he couldn't seem to help it.
I pinched the bridge of my nose in between my index finger and thumb, as if it relieved any of the throbbing of my skull. Alcohol didn't usually have that much of an effect on me, and even when it did, I could still recall the previous nights events rather well, so I shouldn't have been surprised when everything I never wanted to relive infiltrated my psyche.

The vile alcohol I should have stopped consuming after the first glass. An encounter with Matty and I in a strangers bedroom. Something about literature - a date? Another girl running into Armaan's arms? Armaan kissing another girl? Dancing on a table half-naked? For fuck sake, Evelyn.

"Armaan." Was all I managed to voice, although it came out rather hoarse.
"Listen, I know it's not ideal, but I can go sort him out again if you-" Sitting there in his hot pink fluffy dressing gown and making threats of violence, I could not take him seriously. All I could do was laugh - at how stupid I felt, how naïve I had been, but how blind I was to what I have in front of me.

"No," I chuckled. "Don't do that, Matt. Actually, I'm...relieved." But the last word was uttered as more of a question. I didn't understand it myself.
"Relieved?" Eyebrows knitted together, he was the picture of confusion. Understandably so, it was probably an odd reaction to such a thing.
"Y-yeah, I mean, where was it going anyway? We barely spoke, he never introduced me to his friends, he hated you, and he was happy to be getting off with that girl right in fucking front of me. Sure, I wish he'd broken things off before I had to see that last night, but it doesn't hurt. It just kinda sucks."

A moment of silence passed.
"So, I don't need to deck him again, then?" The grin on his face shown he was only kidding, and I could only laugh.
"Nah, I'll get over it. I've got you to annoy me anyway, that's enough to deal with."
He launched a balled up pair of socks at my head, managing to dodge it, much to his disappointment.

"Dick." I said.
"Twat." He said.

I pulled his duvet back, finding myself to still be in the clothes I left my own house in last night, apart from his hoodie that was covering up my top half. "I got my kit off last night, didn't I?"
"Mhm. But I think I got you hidden upstairs before anyone sober enough to remember got to the kitchen."
I gave him a smile, knowing that he most likely made that up to comfort me. I think he knew that I knew, too.

"How come you didn't take me home?" I was now standing up, my head not pounding as harshly as I thought it would be.
"This is your home, too." He casually shrugged his shoulders, and strangely, I felt heat rising to my cheeks.

"Matty! Evelyn! Breakfast is ready!" Denise called up the stairs, startling us both slightly.
"You ready to go down?" He had already opened his bedroom door.
"Mhm" I followed him downstairs.

A few minutes after we had sat down at the table, Matty began loading my plate up with waffles, knowing that I wouldn't have taken enough to fill me up out of fear of appearing too greedy. Not that his family would care, anyway. He did the same with his plate.
"Any plans for today, kids?" Denise was sitting at the head of the table, not yet having mentioned anything about my hungover state, instead sipping on her tea.