Chapter 1

She was beautiful.

So beautiful that Hinata just couldn't compare himself to her.

He could see why Kageyama chose her. The way her light brown hair blew in the wind, creating a halo around her pretty round face made her look angelic. The way her hips swayed as she walked alongside the blue eyed setter was mesmerizing. Her soft laugh was like music to everyone's ears. Maybe that was why Kageyama was always making her giggle.

Of course, Hinata was happy. Seeing Kageyama smile had once been a rare occurrence, but with her around the smile had become a regular thing.

Hinata loved Kageyama's smile. It was adorable the way his blue eyes would shine brighter than the sky, how his lips would turn up slightly and his cheeks would flush a light shade of pink.

It was just that... Hinata had always hoped that he would have been the one to make him smile. That he would have been the one to walk by his side everyday. That he would have been the one to hug him, kiss him, wear his sweaters.

Because the truth was that no matter how happy Kageyama was with someone else, the hole in Hinata's fragile little heart would never be filled.

Hinata loved Kageyama so much. So much to the point that it was breaking him. All Hinata wanted was to be her.

Hinata let out a small grunt as he felt his face fall into something wet. He glanced down, realizing that he had tripped into a puddle while lost in thought.

"Oi, Hinata! Are you okay?"

Hinata looked up to see his favorite set of blue eyes looking down at him. He nodded, rising up to his feet and wiping the dirty water off his face with his shirt. He shivered as he let the wet shirt fall back over his torso, the dampness sticking to his thin body.

"Idiot, you need to be more careful." Kageyama grunted, pulling off his own sweatshirt and holding it out to the orange haired boy in front of him. "Here. Wear this before you catch a cold."

Hinata gingerly took the sweater from his crush's hands, his brain reminding him that Kageyama was only looking out for him for the benefit of the team. "Thanks."

Kageyama nodded and turned to continue the walk, glancing behind momentarily as a signal for Hinata to follow. Of course, Hinata did and the two continued their journey home.

"You seem to be a little out of it lately." Kageyama commented as the duo walked side by side. "Are you feeling alright?"

"Yeah. I'm fine." Hinata mumbled.

Hinata could tell that Kageyama wasn't convinced, yet the dark haired boy let it slide. Although, it was common for Kageyama to not dive deeper into conversations like that. He had never quite been the conversational type.

"Can you toss to me tomorrow after school?" Hinata asked. He just wanted to break the uncomfortable tension.

"Oh, sorry. I can't tomorrow. Maybe Friday?"

Hinata let out a soft 'oh'. Of course he couldn't make it. She was more important.

The two continued their walk in silence, only speaking once more when they went their separate ways to say goodbye.

As Hinata finished his dreary walk, he realized that he still had Kageyama's large sweater enveloping his frame in what felt like a comforting hug.