Chapter 4

The sound of the bustling park filled Hinata's ears as he licked at his popsicle. Kenma and Kuroo sat to his left, one tapping at his phone and the other with his arm draped lazily around the smaller one. It made Hinata a bit jealous, seeing their sweet relationship. That could have been him and Kageyama, but instead Kageyama was putting his arm around her shoulder, giving all his sweaters to her, spending time with her.

"So, Hinata, why exactly are we here?" Kuroo asked, bringing Hinata's train of thought to a halt.

"I'm looking for a boyfriend." Hinata replied. It sounding wrong coming out of his mouth. In his mind, Hinata had always associated boyfriend with Kageyama. But clearly that was never going to work out.

"Looks more like you're looking at that popsicle." Kuroo replied.

"Hey, leave him alone, Kuro." Kenma said, finally glancing up from his cellular device.

Kuroo smirked and gave Kenma's nose a soft tap. "You're so cute!"

Kenma scrunched his nose, only further proving Kuroo's statement. "Am. Not."

"Are too."

"No."

"Yes."

"No."

"Yes."

Hinata looked back at the popsicle as the two bantered and acted all sappy, realizing that Kuroo was right. He hadn't looked up from his popsicle once to take a look at the boy's in the park. If he was being honest, he didn't even want to look up. Nobody could replace Kageyama.
"Earth to Hinataaaaa."

Hinata looked up to see Kenma standing in front of him. "Kuroo said I should stop staring at my phone, so I'm going to go get some pretzels. Can you come with me?"

The orange haired boy nodded and followed Kenma down the park path, leaving Kuroo behind on the bench.

"I never said to leave me here all alone!" Kuroo called after them.

"Don't worry, I'll buy you some pretzels to make up for it." Kenma muttered in response, pulling his hood over his head.

Hinata smiled softly, their banter always amusing him. "What's it like? Dating?"

"It's nice." Kenma murmured. Hinata noticed how he tried to hide the blush that spread across his pale cheeks. "Kuroo is the best."

Hinata nodded, although he knew he couldn't understand. He would never understand, because the love of his life was off smooching some girl who was by far a million times better than Hinata would ever be.

"Hinata, careful!"

Hinata let out a gasp as he stumbled over his feet, falling down to the ground. But the feeling of strong arms safely holding him from crashing into the ground was not something he had expected. Hinata's wide doe eyes looked up to see grey ones staring back at him.

"I'm so sorry!" Hinata squeaked, stumbling out of the other boy's arms.

"Don't worry about it." The grey eyed boy said with a smile. "Hey, you look familiar. Have I seen you before?"

Hinata cocked his head trying to think back to ever seeing the other boy, but his thoughts were interrupted as the grey eyed teen spoke up again.

"That's right! You're Hinata Shouyou! I think I've seen you play against my school before." The boy paused, looking Hinata up and down. "You're really amazing out there."

Hinata felt his face heat up at the kind words, and he put up a hand to hide his blush. "O-oh! Thank you!"

"I'm Nakamura Hoshi. Nice to meet you." Hoshi said, reaching out a hand for Hinata to shake.

Hinata shook Hoshi's hand, noticing the size difference. Hoshi's hands were big and strong, yet soft to the touch.

"Well, I guess I should go" Hinata started, turning around. But Kenma wasn't there. "Uh, did you happen to see where my friend went?"

Hoshi scanned the area. "I didn't. I can help you look for him, though."

Hinata smiled gratefully. Hoshi's height would be useful in this situation. The two began their walk through the park, Hinata calling out for Kenma and Hoshi scanning the people around them.

"Maybe he went back to where we were sitting?" Hinata suggested. Hoshi nodded in agreement, and the two set off in the direction of the bench.

As they rounded the corner with the trees Hinata saw that the bench was uninhabited, no sign of Kuroo nor Kenma anywhere.

"Thats... weird." Hinata muttered, folding his arms across his chest. "I wonder why they left me."

"Don't worry, I'll help you find them." Hoshi reassured the smaller boy, and the two continued walking.

"So. Do you also go to Nekoma?" Hinata asked, kicking a small rock off the path.

"Yeah. I'm on the swim team."

Hinata nodded, taking a better at Hoshi. He was tall but lean, reminding Hinata of Kageyama. His hair was messy, falling slightly over his big grey eyes. He definitely looked like a swimmer to the orange haired boy. "That's cool."

"Yep."

The two continued awkwardly looking for Hinata's missing friends, occasionally cracking a joke between each other. Hoshi was actually pretty funny, and Hinata liked that.

Soon, it started to get dark. Hinata shivered and wrapped his arms around his small frame. He hadn't expected to be at the park for so long, and had decided not to bring a sweater. Clearly, that had been a mistake.

"Here, you need this more than I do."

Hinata looked over to see Hoshi holding out his sweatshirt.

A big mistake.

Hinata took the sweatshirt from the other boy's hands, pulling it on. It was warm and smelled nice, not to mention that it hung down to his knees.

A very big mistake.

Hinata blushed as he noticed Hoshi's sweet smile.

A VERY VERY BIG MISTAKE.

He didn't know how it happened, but suddenly Hinata was leaning in, and Hoshi was leaning down, and their faces were millimeters apart. And then their lips met. Hoshi's lips were soft, so soft. Just how Hinata had imagined.

He had been imagining them kissing?

It didn't matter anymore, because now it was happening. Hinata pulled back, feeling embarrassed.

"I-I'm sorry. Was that too soon?" Hoshi asked, his hand somehow on Hinata's cheek. His fingers softly stroked the orange haired boy's cheekbones, and Hinata could feel himself blushing at the feeling.

"I've never kissed anyone before." Hinata whispered in response, a grin adorning his face.

Hoshi just snickered and leaned in again. And they kissed. No interruptions; just the feeling of lips on lips, the sound of a soft smack as they pulled apart to breath, the soft whine from Hoshi as Hinata finally pulled away for good.

"I should probably go home, Hoshi." Hinata murmured.

Hoshi nodded, looking down at his phone to check the time.

They exchanged numbers, and then Hinata was off, heading home with a wide grin across his face. His mind had never brought her up while he had been with Hoshi, and something about that made Hinata happy. It was like he was saying goodbye to all his sadness. He was saying goodbye to the pain, to her, to Kageyama.

But little did he know that in the shadows stood a tall and dark haired setter, who had finally wanted to say hello.