Goodbye, for Awhile

the journey home was a pain. they dragged their feet in sorrow until they made it to where arod and brego were obediently awaiting their arrival.

legolas and aragorn tried to create conversation, tried to seem happy, but after that purely magical night, there was an emptiness that filled both their heavy hearts. maybe it was because once you see something so truly beautiful, it's hard to go back to a normal life.

but life caught up with them and they couldn't play this silly game anymore, and as much as it broke their hearts, they both knew that. but they would see one another again, they would.

"legolas, i will miss you more than i can bear, you know." aragorn muttered. 

"yes i will too, my dear friend." legolas said. he kept his head straight forward, containing the vile emotions that dared to slip over.

gondor was in sight, and soon enough they were passing through the gates, and receiving awkward glances from the towns people.

only once legolas was alone in his room did he let the tears fall, but he did not sob. unfortunately he would have to save that for until he got home, to mirkwood.

legolas suddenly realized how long it had been since he'd seen his home, and as much as he longed to return to the comforting protection of the woodland realm, the thought of going home made him panic. he didn't want the adventure to be over.

although their journey had been absolutely full of, bloodshed, loss, pain, and sadness, legolas had delighted in the action. for he was an elf, and elves had more difficulty dying or getting hurt. except, over a broken heart....

there was a knock at the door, and legolas started. he rushed to the washroom and splashed his face with water, washing away the salty tears.

"yes?" he evened his voice and straightened his tunic.

much to his surprise, arwen was the person who showed up in front of his door. she looked at him nervously, as if she was worried she was an inconvenience

"legolas? i just wanted to say my goodbyes now, i don't want you to be overwhelmed when your leaving." she said, sweetly.

"thank you, mellon." he sighed, relieved.

"i know you care about aragorn," legolas stiffened, was it that obvious?

"and i know you two were really close friends." arwen sighed,  and legolas relaxed.

"and we will both miss you dearly, thank you for this adventure." she smiled and walked forward to embrace him.

he gladly accepted, legolas could really use a hug in that moment.

"i do not know when i will see you again, but i will. namárië mellon nin." then she flew out the door, like a whisper. and that was the last time legolas saw arwen evenstar for a long time.

he stood there, just stood, for a few moments before he continued to pack his things into a bundle.

no more tears fell.

the sun began to set, legolas planned to travel home alone, it would be quicker that way. he brought he things down to where arod was waiting.

when he got there he realized that the hobbits, gimli, gandalf, and aragorn were there, ready to say their goodbyes. legolas happened to be the one leaving first, he did not know when the others were leaving, or if they were leaving at all.

he smiled sadly at all of them and placed his things on arod's back. when he was done with that he took a deep breath, preparing for the sadness.

he stepped forward and gently squeezed the shoulders of each hobbit.

"thank you for this wonderful adventure, little ones," he said. "i wish you all the best of luck for the future. i hope we meet again."

"farewell legolas." frodo sniffled. even though they hadn't talked much at all, they seemed to have formed a silent bond, an understanding.

gandalf approached him, and placed his large hand on legolas's bicep. "goodbye legolas green leaf. i hope we shall meet again soon. give your father my regards."

legolas smiled, "i sure will."

he then knelt down beside gimli, forcing him into a quick embrace, which made gimli grumble.

"elves." he spat. legolas laughed. but there was humor and sadness in his deep eyes.

then came the part he'd been truly dreading.

aragorn, the man he loved, the man he had shared blood, sweat and tears with. and many, many adventures, was standing in front of him.

tears started to stream down his face, he didn't even care in the slightest about the small audience they had.

aragorn threw himself into legolas's arms, gripping like his whole life was crashing down in front of him. and legolas returned it, crushing down on aragorn's sturdy arms.

"we'll see each other again. we'll see each other again." aragorn was chanting like a prayer, trying convince himself.

"yes, yes we will." legolas tried to reassure him.

they would.

"thank you. thank you. thank you so— much for everything." aragorn barely made it out before his voice cracked. and in that moment something inside legolas snapped, his heart broke into an oblivion. the pieces lay scattered on the ground, he would never be able to pick up every piece and put it all back together.

so he just disregarded them and let the pieces blow away in the wind.

"you are so very welcome, melleth nin." legolas said quietly, so no one else would hear. they were still in their tight embrace, hoping time would stop and that they could stay like that forever.

but time will never stop and they were forced to pry themselves apart. legolas no longer had control over his body as he stumbled up upon his horse. he was just a soul, and mind, trapped in a body that was moving on its own.

and with that arod leaped into movement, through the town and out the gates.

legolas took once last glance at his love, and their eyes met. a small smile grew on aragorn's lips. and his mouth formed out the words "i love you" and legolas realized he hadn't been imagining it that night.

he smiled back, but was soon forced to turn his head to the front, to the future, a future he greatly feared.

mellon nin (my friend)
mellon (friend)
melleth nin (my love)